WWII B-2 Cap

spagg

I just picked this B-2 up at our local Antique store. I didn't pay much for it so it was worth the gamble that it maybe legit. What do you guy's think?

Thanks,

Sal.

post-10083-0-12954000-1448396268.jpg

I don't have it to hand at the moment but I'll check my photo-files to see if I can find some other pics. There was a story going round some years ago...true or not, I can't say...that some "chancer" cut up some salvaged trashed WW2 shearling flight pants and used them to manufacture fake B2s. Others might be able to add their two cents to this?

Good as gold!

Allan

Thanks Allan. it seems that these Shaw-Barton Caps were stitched up some what different than most? Also they used a darker color leather for the brim. That's what had me thinking maybe it was just a good knockoff.

A couple more pics. There are two AAF decals on the bill. The AAF collar pin has been on there for ever.

Nice. Those USAAF decals sure make a difference...

I bought one of those SB B2 caps almost 20 years ago...all of them were size 7 1/4 and the bills were brand new, with worn sheepskin...the stitching on the inside seems was missing, just a flat stitch....

There is no definitive proof on the 7 1/4 caps just that there were many to be had, all 7 1/4 with mint bills....

check out the outside seems on both of your caps and you can see the difference...Sabre yours look legit, and Spagg I am not saying either way on yours...but it does look a lot like the 7 1/4 ones that were floating around...and again I am just looking at the seems and the bill condition versus the wear to the sheepskin, and the thickness of the sheepskin,...was thicker on the jackets and pants versus the cap....

That's just what I was referring to phantom.. I'm confident that mine is 100% legit. After 30+ years of collecting this stuff I know when something is old...one develops a kind of sixth sense! ;)

I bought one of those SB B2 caps almost 20 years ago...all of them were size 7 1/4 and the bills were brand new, with worn sheepskin...the stitching on the inside seems was missing, just a flat stitch....

There is no definitive proof on the 7 1/4 caps just that there were many to be had, all 7 1/4 with mint bills....

check out the outside seems on both of your caps and you can see the difference...Sabre yours look legit, and Spagg I am not saying either way on yours...but it does look a lot like the 7 1/4 ones that were floating around...and again I am just looking at the seems and the bill condition versus the wear to the sheepskin, and the thickness of the sheepskin,...was thicker on the jackets and pants versus the cap....

I thought that the leather was a littler off! The size is 7 3/8 but fits just a little tight for that size. But leather can shrink over years also. So, this I guess is one of those early re-do's?