Do WWII navy kia Purple Hearts engraving question

WEAVER45

Early formats include the dates at times.I lean toward thinking your posted Purple Heart as an un-officially engraved medal. The addition of the "XO" and Sub number in collusion with the style of engraving, makes my opinion. It looks nicely done and I have seen lots of USN medals with embellishments. Many of the Navy awards especially to WIA folks are theater engraved and awarded.It is not uncommon to find or see.

With all that said,seeing it in person, helps truly to pin it down.

Thanks for the link and it changes my thoughts on this particular medal.I don't care alot for this medal. It looks artificially aged...the engraving is not a style you expect to see.

It is definitely un-officially engraved..

I’m with Robert on this one keep your money in your pocket. Looks like an Army PH Box as well as broach as well too many signs that say run away.

The recipient of this medal was fairly well known...I've looked at the medal and I believe it falls into the category of a "fake, intended to deceive" rather than a privately engraved by the family.

The recipient of this medal was fairly well known...I've looked at the medal and I believe it falls into the category of a "fake, intended to deceive" rather than a privately engraved by the family.

I agree...maybe an electric engraving pen.

Just some food for thought. I owned an original posthumous PH to a submariner that was issued in 1945 that was a US Army PH. As we know the Navy received about 60,000 Army PHs because the mint could not keep up with demand. If you like the medal, bid as if it were a privately engraved WIA medal.

dhcoleterracina

I agree with the comments made. The Heart itself looks like a US Mint type (with slot brooch) as it has the "lug" ring attachment and the planchet appears to be sterling.

I have a feeling the original source of this medal is from the faker in Florida.

Kurt

I tend to give the Florida faker more credit than that...his stuff is very neat, consistent, and there's typically more information (like a date). This one is rather crude...not quite up to his (or her) normal standards. ;) I think this might be someone else churning them out...though I've never seen another engraved in this hand before.

The guy from Florida normally machine engraves medals, but it's the content on the medal that made me think it might be him. It's very similar, but this one is hand engraved. Maybe he is trying a new medium?

Kurt

Perhaps...what I think is really JV about the guy who did the Pye medal is the artificial aging. Looks like he/she/they tried to smudge a glob of grease on it! :D

Looking at it again, I bet what happened (for real) was that the person tried to blacken the engraving using a compound of sorts that stuck to the entire medal. Then, they tried to clean it off, leaving the mess behind.

Screwed up a perfectly good Purple Heart!

I have a feeling the original source of this medal is from the faker in Florida.]

If that is the case Kurt, he is getting better at it. His usual stuff is quite easily recognised but this one, if you take the Navy aspect of the engraving, could easily pass for official hand engraving for an Army PH. Worrying.

Kurt

I have a feeling the original source of this medal is from the faker in Florida.]

If that is the case Kurt, he is getting better at it. His usual stuff is quite easily recognised but this one, if you take the Navy aspect of the engraving, could easily pass for official hand engraving for an Army PH. Worrying.

Kurt

Yep, they're getting better. Soon they have the perfect, unrecognisable engraving. ! ! !