BELT_6.jpg

#8 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

The USMC M1961 belt went through a nomenclature change sometime in the production period but can't put this on an exact time line. Best I can read this early nomenclature is it reads BELT CARTRIDGE FOR M14 RIFLE M1961. The example I own has an early DSA contract prefix so has to be 1965 or earlier. As is typical with these the markings are marred by the grommeted holes and snaps.

Later nomenclature was BELT INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT M1961. Latest date I've seen of these is 1968. The Marine Corps started fielding the M16 rifle around this time but it was used in Viet Nam only until later.

#9 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

I thought you guys might like to see a pic of the M1961 belt in action. This one shows a rather glum young Marine at Da Nang on 8/3/65. He is wearing what appears to be a horizontal weave M1961 belt to carry his M1916 holster and .45 pistol. No M14 mag pouches are evident. (Photo credit to Rodinal).

M1961_Belt_USMC_Da_Nang_RVN_8_3_65.jpg

#10 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:28 AM

I dug out my early nomenclature M1961 belt this morning and remembered it was inkstamped "L" for LARGE. I don't see this mentioned anywhere else in this excellent thread so wanted to add that they did come in size LARGE but they're a lot harder to find. I don't think the Marines purchased a lot of LARGE sized web gear. They probably felt it was cheaper to just make the Marine lose weight :D

Attached Images

• MVC_095S.JPG
  • MVC_096S.JPG

#11 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:06 AM

I just got one of these with the vertical weave, the first I've ever come across. Does anyone know if the horizontal and vertical weave versions were produced at the same time?

usmcwebvertical.jpg

#12 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

Look here for more info on dates and the weave patterns:

http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=2545

The horizontal weave is the older style but the vertical weave was available by at least 1962 if not sooner so my guess is both weave patterns were used at the same time. The USMC belt is a 1961 model so it is a better than even chance both weaves were used early.

#13 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

The horizontal weave is the older style but the vertical weave was available by at least 1962 if not sooner so my guess is both weave patterns were used at the same time. The USMC belt is a 1961 model so it is a better than even chance both weaves were used early.

Thanks. I've got a vertical and a horizontal weave 1961 model now and each of them is missing the female buckle.

#14 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Interesting that it is the female buckle as that is the one sewn down on these belts. It may have been that they were damaged in order to dispose of them as surplus.

#15 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

Interesting that it is the female buckle as that is the one sewn down on these belts. It may have been that they were damaged in order to dispose of them as surplus.

Oops - it is the make that is missing. The latest belt I acquired came from the estate of a retired Marine and the belt had two 1953 USMC canteen covers attached to it and there was another - non-1961 belt - also with a 52 cover. So I don't think this was surplus, just stuff he brought home from the job.

#16 srcenney

srcenney
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 2,945
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

07_M61_Belt_comparison_Front.jpg
08_M61_Belt_comparison_Rear.jpg

Hi Craig,

Just got an M1961 horizontal weave pistol belt in the mail today, but have a problem: the one end of the buckle is stuck between the second and first snaps, and I cannot get the buckle over the snap to give me the extra adjustment I need. Would hate to have to cut it off and then try to find a replacement. The seller has a three-day return policy on it, but would hate to return it - since it's in very good shape (still has a good deal of black paint on the buckles/snaps/eyots), no rips/frays/tears. When it's convenient, please email any suggestions you have to remedy the buckle problem to my email addy below.

Have a great weekend!

Steve Cenney
[email protected]

#17 srcenney

srcenney
  • New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

Hi Craig,

Can you recommend a good method to clean a canvas pistol belt? I came across an M1961 that appears intact, but both the canvas and the fixtures need cleaned.

Please reply via my email addy below, when it's convenient. Thank you in advance.

Steve Cenney
[email protected]

#18 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi Craig,

Just got an M1961 horizontal weave pistol belt in the mail today, but have a problem: the one end of the buckle is stuck between the second and first snaps, and I cannot get the buckle over the snap to give me the extra adjustment I need. Would hate to have to cut it off and then try to find a replacement. The seller has a three-day return policy on it, but would hate to return it - since it's in very good shape (still has a good deal of black paint on the buckles/snaps/eyots), no rips/frays/tears. When it's convenient, please email any suggestions you have to remedy the buckle problem to my email addy below.

Have a great weekend!

Steve Cenney
[email protected]

It sounds like the buckle may have been mashed in. Take a screw driver, small pry bar or something similar and try GENTLY prying the buckle open enough to clear the snap. Another possibility is the belt has swollen some or the snaps have started to come apart and that is making for the tight fit. You can try s asmall hammer and GENTLY tap the snap to compress it.

#19 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hi Craig,

Can you recommend a good method to clean a canvas pistol belt? I came across an M1961 that appears intact, but both the canvas and the fixtures need cleaned.

Please reply via my email addy below, when it's convenient. Thank you in advance.

Steve Cenney
[email protected]

Since these belts aren't all that rare I would use a soft nylon bristle brush and a mild detergent and give the belt a good scrubbing.

#20 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

Since these belts aren't all that rare I would use a soft nylon bristle brush and a mild detergent and give the belt a good scrubbing.

I actually use small stiff brass brushes to clean web belts: those belts can take - and sometimes require - a very hard scrubbing (I use brass so that if a brush bristle comes off and gets lodged in the belt hardware it won't rust). As for opening up the keepers a bit with a screwdriver - it seems that most belts I buy need to have that done to adjust the size. Once you get a belt set for a certain size, it's not something you want to re-adjust very often.

#21 srcenney

srcenney
  • New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

I actually use small stiff brass brushes to clean web belts: those belts can take - and sometimes require - a very hard scrubbing (I use brass so that if a brush bristle comes off and gets lodged in the belt hardware it won't rust). As for opening up the keepers a bit with a screwdriver - it seems that most belts I buy need to have that done to adjust the size. Once you get a belt set for a certain size, it's not something you want to re-adjust very often.

Hi!

Thanks for replying to my posting. Actually, the keepers slide freely on this particular belt. It's the female end of the buckle that is stuck between the second and first snaps. This is gonna sound korny, but the buckle would slide down (from the second snap to the other ones), but won't go from the second to the first. When I try to slide it over the snap, it will start to go over the bottom of it but get hung up on top, and vice versa. I can use that extra adjustment, but am afraid I will tear the snap out if I do anything to it. The guy I bought it from has a three-day inspection on it, so I may return it and then try to find one that doesn't have this problem. Gotta think it over.

The second belt (the one that needs a good cleaning) is a vertical weave pattern - the first (and only) one I've seen like this. There's lots of verdigris on the snaps/eyots/keepers, and some streaking from sliding the keepers around. Can't tell from the pics if the buckles are damaged though. For what the guy is asking, it may be worth picking it up to experiment.

Thanks again.

Steve

#22 srcenney

srcenney
  • New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thanks, Craig. Have a good one!

Steve

#23 srcenney

srcenney
  • New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

01_M36_vs_M61_Belt_snap_comparison.jpg
02_M36_vs_M61_Female_buckle_comparison.jpg
03_M36_Belt_comparison_Front.jpg

Hi!

'Hope this posting finds everyone healthy and happy! Has anyone ever encountered an M1961 USMC Rifleman's Belt that had slight splits/cracks in the magazine snaps? I found a horizontal weave M1961, and almost every snap had a slight crack/split in it. Looking at the pictures in this posting, I see an M1961 that looks like it has at least one snap with a split/crack in it. Please reply to my email addy below, when it is convenient. Thank you in advance.

Steve Cenney
[email protected]

#24 alphie5002

alphie5002
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,709
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hi!

'Hope this posting finds everyone healthy and happy! Has anyone ever encountered an M1961 USMC Rifleman's Belt that had slight splits/cracks in the magazine snaps? I found a horizontal weave M1961, and almost every snap had a slight crack/split in it. Looking at the pictures in this posting, I see an M1961 that looks like it has at least one snap with a split/crack in it. Please reply to my email addy below, when it is convenient. Thank you in advance.

Steve Cenney
[email protected]

Steve - I just received a Horizontal Weave M1961 Belt today and noticed the same thing. The Snaps read "RAU Fastner Co. Prov., RI". On mine I counted 3 snaps with cracks.
Hope this helps you out.

#25 poch

poch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,064
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

Hi there,
I have a question about snaps on the M1961 belts: I have a belt with the snaps without signature (in the pic on the right). The belt is dated 1967, I think bacause the print is hard to read. Are these snaps correct?
My friend offer me anothe belt with Rau fastenest, pic on the left. The only thing I can read on his belt is "L" for size.
Can anyone tell me more info about the snaps?

Thank you
Pavel

Attached Images

• pic2.jpg
  • pic1.jpg

Edited by poch, 23 August 2010 - 01:12 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users