Nesco gas can

Major Bummer

I had gone out to one of my family's old home places out in the sticks Sunday, decided to poke around before my grandmother sold the land off. I went off into the woods not really expecting to find anything but some old farm equipment. There were several heaps of rubbish out there, most of it really old bottles and things that could have been worth something to someone. when I was looking through one of them I was ecstatic to find a US army gas can that was in great shape considering how long it had been sitting out in the weather. I took it to my grandmother and she said she would be more than happy for me to take it and keep it in my collection, my great grand father used it for tractor oil and whatnot, it was really neat to get ahold of something with both military and family history to it.

The real question that I ponder here, and I just want to hear some opinions from like minded folk, should I restore it?

The paint has gone with time, leaving the under coat of galvanized paint, rust, mold and splashes of oil. the lid is stuck in place but i might be able to work it free, the frame is a little dented but over all intact and without any holes. I asked some people around me what they think, but they do not collect and seem too disinterested to give more than a shrug. I would like to restore this piece to former glory, but I also wonder if that would be destroying the patina of the piece. I'm conflicted here, really.

Sorry I cant seem to post any pictures of the can, but if anyone wants to know, ill be happy to describe exactly what it is i have here.