US Coast Guard Rescue Movie Coming In January 2016

gwb123

I just happened across this one on Youtube

A heroic action-thriller, “The Finest Hours” is the remarkable true story of the greatest small boat rescue in Coast Guard history.Presented in Digital 3D™ and IMAX® 3D, the film will transport audiences to the heart of the action, creating a fully-immersive cinematic experience on an epic scale. On February 18, 1952, a massive nor’easter struck New England, pummeling towns along the Eastern seaboard and wreaking havoc on the ships caught in its deadly path, including the SS Pendleton, a T-2 oil tanker bound for Boston, which was literally ripped in half, trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly-sinking stern. As the senior officer on board, first assistant engineer Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) soon realizes it is up to him to take charge of the frightened crew and inspire the men to set aside their differences and work together to ride out one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast.

Meanwhile, as word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard station in Chatham, Massachusetts, Warrant Officer Daniel Cluff (Eric Bana) orders a daring operation to rescue the stranded men. Despite overwhelming odds, four men, led by Coast Guard Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine), set out in a wooden lifeboat with an ill-equipped engine and little, if any, means of navigation, facing frigid temperatures, 60-foot high waves and hurricane-force winds.

Disney’s “The Finest Hours” is the unforgettable story of the Coast Guard’s courageous mission, which is directed by Craig Gillespie and stars: Chris Pine; Academy Award® and Golden Globe® nominee Casey Affleck; Ben Foster; Holliday Grainger; John Ortiz; and Eric Bana. Produced by Jim Whitaker and Dorothy Aufiero, the screenplay is by Oscar® nominee Scott Silver and Oscar nominees Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson based on the acclaimed non-fiction book of the same name by Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman. Doug Merrifield serves as executive producer. “The Finest Hours” storms into U.S. theaters on January 29, 2016 in Digital 3D™ and IMAX® 3D.

FinestHoursBar640.jpg

And here is the history to back it up...

http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/Pendleton_Webster.asp

"Webber and his crew arrive back safely at their base with 32 of the Pendleton's survivors on board the Coast Guard motor lifeboat. EN3 Andrew Fitzgerald is on the bow ready to handle the tie up at the pier. Photo by Richard C. Kelsey, Chatham, Mass. Photo credit: Cape Cod Community College."

Finest.jpg

I have been aboard a number of T-2 Tankers and can't imagine one torn in two by a storm.

Will see this movie sure.

Wharf

• 1 month later...
Charlie Flick

Yeah, I am definitely going to have to watch that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Charlie

Patchcollector

Looks like an exciting movie.Not too many "Coastie" flicks out there.Some decent actors too.I've been a fan of Eric Bana since Blackhawk Down and Munich;a few of my favorites.

Here's a link to the trailer:

• 1 month later...

I never thought I'd say this as an adult, but a Disney film now ranks among my favorites. Having seen this movie, I give it nothing but rave reviews. This rivals The Guardian.

As a footnote, CG-36500 was restored and still floats to this day, and is now included on the National Register of Historic Places. Then-BM1 Webber also has a 154' cutter named in his honor.

What a great movie! I took my wife and daughter to see it today and they all thought it was great. I have participated in several small boat rescues, back in the day, in very rough sea conditions but it was like bath water compared to what this heroic crew went through. Job well done and gold lifesaving medals are truly deserved. If you get a chance to read the book it is a good read.

Mason

USCG 1981-1985

Got to go see this movie. I'm glad the Coast Guard is getting some good press from this. They deserve all the credit they get for doing some dangerous jobs every year.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...