Difference between Army and Marine Lt. Col. pins

Paul70

What is the difference between Army and Marine Lt. Colonel WWII rank insignia. On the green class A, it would still be the full size ones, right?

Thanks Paul

These are from WW2 period official sources, I added the dimensions from the regulations to the Marine one. USMC (and Navy) collar/garrison cap devices were five-eighths scale. Of course there were many variations in the insignia as manufactured, but generally the Marine leaves are smooth except for the leaf veins, and the Army ones have the all-over simulated embroidery texture as Dave said.

Justin B.

post-3982-0-95053700-1447369784.jpg

Justin's picture is spot-on perfect.

As an aside, different service ranks being worn isn't a total impossibility though, so for some reading this, don't throw the proverbial "baby out with the bathwater" if, say, an Army officer is wearing Navy/MC style rank insignia. I had a commanding officer who favored the Army style "detailed" oak leaves and no one ever brought it up to him. I meant to ask him why he wore them (he was my CO for around a year) but I never did. I've also seen legitimate Army officer's uniform with Navy/MC style rank, especially from WW2 (I think a lot of people preferred that style, rather "art-deco")

Dave

^ Dave is absolutely right, I should stress that what was in the image was official spec only, what people actually wore varied considerably. And the measurements might vary an eighth-inch or so. Also, the Army style had a lot of variations, especially wartime manufacture. On some, the leaf lobes are very "pointy," more like a star. I have even seen a couple that were just plain smooth, no surface features at all.

Justin B.

Just as an aside, I think every single Luxenburg oak leaf I've ever seen has been the Navy style. If anybody has pictures of Army-style major/lieutenant colonel oak leaves by Luxenburg I'd like to see them. (I bring this up because it adds credence to officers not necessarily wearing the rank insignia prescribed for their branch.)