Metal VS Wooden Storage Containers

skautdog

I'm still trying to determine the best containers to purchase for storing items from bayonets/knives to metal insignia to pistol belts to etc..

I understand the necessity to control moisture and us pH neutral paper and so forth.I keep reading pros and cons on keeping my militaria collectibles (the ones I no longer have room for in the gun safe) in metal versus wooden storage chests. Whatever I end up with will be in a finished basement (with dehumidifiers).

I'm floundering between purchasing upright metal multi drawer tool chests or wooden drawer chests of some type.

ANY insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ken

"'m floundering between purchasing upright metal multi drawer tool chests or wooden drawer chests of some type."

In the location as described, metal storage has the advantage of being essentially neutral, and very very durable (impervious to almost anything except critters and moisture).

Wood storage can work for metal and other neutral artifacts (e.g. most plastics) but... there are drawbacks such as weight, vulnerability to insects and a few other problems (such as acidity and it burns) that always made me want to stay away from it - if there had been a choice.

Thanks, Bluehawk. I appreciate your insight very much!

Any suggestion as to what I should line metal drawers with? Acid free paper or ???

Thanks,

Ken

When storing neutral artifacts (.e.g metal etc.) no linings are needed.

Linings, as such, are reserved for when one MUST have a barrier between two or more substances which are likely, or known, to be deleterious to one another. Example: wood against paper.

As a special care, one might put a soft cushion in the case of neutral artifacts... but, strictly speaking, it is not mandatory.

Blue