Marine Corps M60A3 Tanks @ Kuwait International Airport.

ArtyScout

Hello all! I started this build of a Marine M60 tank during Desert Storm. This kit is from Italeri, and I didn't particularly cared for the tracks that came with it. I'll be giving it weathering, decals (or dry transfers), troop equipment and other goodies as I go along. I've started on the second one and that one is from Tamiya. Plus there will be an Iraqi tank. As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-57268300-1447226776.jpg

post-156853-0-22515800-1447226785.jpg

Thank you all. Lars I had to order the decal/transfers from Archer since the Italeri model didn't have USMC decals. I intend to add some more weathering as I go along but for now I'm quite happy with how it looks.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all on your comments. I started working on the 2nd M60 and I'll post those pics soon. This one still needs crew, markings, equipment etc. As always I like putting my builds into dioramas.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I'm not a Marine or a Tanker, but during the Gulf War I was on USS Pensacola (LSD-38). We carried 3 USMC M-60s ( I didn't take pics). All 3 had that "Reactive Armor" ( what they told me all the little blocks were).

I'm not a Marine or a Tanker, but during the Gulf War I was on USS Pensacola (LSD-38). We carried 3 USMC M-60s ( I didn't take pics). All 3 had that "Reactive Armor" ( what they told me all the little blocks were).

Yes you are quite right, the majority of the M60's were fitted with the "Reactive Armor". But I have been doing research and there were some that were transferred over to the Marines from the Army just before Operation Desert Storm kicked off and they weren't fitted with "ERA". According to what I've read those tanks were sent to the 3rd Tank Battalion of the 2nd MarDiv that was already in country in Saudi Arabia. I personally, don't like the "ERA" for aesthetic reasons. I know it provided additional protection from HEAT and Sabot rounds from the enemy but it took away from the look of the M60. Anyway my M60's will be those few tanks that went into battle and still proved that they were more than a match for the Iraqi (Russian) armor.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Yes you are quite right, the majority of the M60's were fitted with the "Reactive Armor". But I have been doing research and there were some that were transferred over to the Marines from the Army just before Operation Desert Storm kicked off and they weren't fitted with "ERA". According to what I've read those tanks were sent to the 3rd Tank Battalion of the 2nd MarDiv that was already in country in Saudi Arabia. I personally, don't like the "ERA" for aesthetic reasons. I know it provided additional protection from HEAT and Sabot rounds from the enemy but it took away from the look of the M60. Anyway my M60's will be those few tanks that went into battle and still proved that they were more than a match for the Iraqi (Russian) armor.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Sorry I want to make a correction, those tanks(11 in all) were sent to the 1st Tank Bn. of the 1st MarDiv & 3rd Tank Bn. of the 3rd MarDiv.

• 3 weeks later...

looks awesome as it is in the pics above. do you have any updated pics of any changes you have made? i especially love the detail on the weather covers on the gun mantlet and the gunners hole.

Don't forget to add the inverted "V" tactical markings! I oversaw the fueling of a lot of Saudi M60A3 tanks as we ran through Kuwait during the ground offensive. The best part of the operation was listening to the "Tiger Brigade" radio chatter as the Marines kicked rump and took names!

Allan

• 1 month later...

Hello all. I know I promised to put up the pics of my 2nd M60A3 tank, but the holidays made me slow down on the building, but here they are. Believe it or not this tank like the previous one has been weathered with pastels and pigments, but it seems like the lighting might be too stark and the camera doesn't pick it up as well as I want to. So I'm going to do some washes in certain areas so the relief and weathering will stand out better. But enjoy anyway and as always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

post-156853-0-86696100-1453621170.jpg

post-156853-0-14232200-1453621180.jpg

post-156853-0-93776500-1453621187.jpg

post-156853-0-87274800-1453621196.jpg

post-156853-0-57023400-1453621205.jpg

Wunderbar Manny, I like the painting and overall surface of the tank very much. How many antennas will you add finally?

Lars

I'm putting 2 on one and 1 on the other. Now I have to do the add-on equipment and then the figures.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thank you Doyler. The lighting and the camera seem to downplay the weathering of the pastels.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well I weathered my M60's a lot more and I finished and added the equipment to the stowage bins. The next thing is to put the figures in the tanks and add the antennas and we can call this phase of building my diorama complete.

I hope you like them, and all critiques and comments are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-20668100-1455086923.jpg

post-156853-0-16521800-1455086931.jpg

post-156853-0-61585300-1455086942.jpg

post-156853-0-07741900-1455086954.jpg

If it is reallyrepresenting one that was in Kuwait, it needs to have the "V" tactical markings.....

To me, this would be like painting a D-Day C-47 and not adding the invasion stripes on the wings.

Allan

Looking pretty cool, Manny! What figures will you use?

I was thinking of using the figures that came with the Tamiya tank and I ordered the Dragon US Tank Crew (Desert Storm) and I also have a resin set of 3 tank crewmen from Verlinden.

The Tamiya figures look good, so I'm deciding which figures to use for the other tank.

Semper Fi.

Manny