M1 Carbine Questions

Bodes

Hi Bodes. The safety should be unmarked, not checkered. Most all of the metal should have a "Q" as one of the manufacture code stamps, hammer, including the trigger housing, sear, extractor, bolt body, firing pin, trigger and spring tube housing.

What proofs are either side if the stock, symbols, stamped letters?

What you have listed so far look correct, except the barrel band.

Chuck

It will be my M1 Carbine after tomorrow.....I took the action out of the stock after much hesitation as I didn't want to bunger up any of the screws....As luck would have it, after not being able to loosen the barrel band screw, it became apparent the band had enough play in it already.....

Upon this, I took it over to an ex-military collector who has owned numerous carbines....Unfortunately, since he is going to be 85 and hasn't taken one apart in years, we didn't tear it down completely....The trigger group and bolt were left together....However, these parts were noted as being marked accordingly....Bodes

Sear: "GE-Q"

Bolt Lug: "EM-Q"

Slide: "DA-Q"

Trigger Housing: "QNL"

Hammer: "QLT"

So far, so good. On the right side of the rear sight base there should be another letter next to or before the Q, is there? Also another letter in front of the RMC in the sling cut out [unless it is an early "I" cut stock], left side.

How about some pictures? It sounds like it is mostly correct, nice acquisition.

Chuck

So far, so good. On the right side of the rear sight base there should be another letter next to or before the Q, is there? Also another letter in front of the RMC in the sling cut out [unless it is an early "I" cut stock], left side.

How about some pictures? It sounds like it is mostly correct, nice acquisition.

Chuck

There's just a small stylized 'Q' on the sight base and curious enough was stamped upside down....My guess it was marked in a quickened fashion....Seems to me a lot of the early Quality Hardware parts came from either Inland or Winchester and were unmarked....As for the stock, my research has the proofs being either 'RMC' or 'QRMC' and yes, it's an I-cut stock.....Bodes

If you paid under $1,000. you did very well. Pictures could indicate a much better deal than I have stated.

Chuck.

If you paid under $1,000. you did very well. Pictures could indicate a much better deal than I have stated.

Chuck.

Yeah, it was under a grand....I will see if I can post the pictures the seller sent me....They aren't the best, but I don't take pictures.....As my computer is three beats away from imploding, I will see what I can do on one of the library's computers come Monday....Bodes

Bodes- my internet PC croaked last month. 350 bucks out the door for a new WIN10 machine at Best Buy had me back up and going. is it a good machine? No...my good PC cost two grand and I use it for graphics work and simulations. But this 350 buck machine gets me here!

You must be pretty excited about the carbine after this long. Looking forward to the pics.

Bodes- my internet PC croaked last month. 350 bucks out the door for a new WIN10 machine at Best Buy had me back up and going. is it a good machine? No...my good PC cost two grand and I use it for graphics work and simulations. But this 350 buck machine gets me here!

You must be pretty excited about the carbine after this long. Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks for the information....This PC will have to last me a while as I'm tapped out.....Between my purchases and paying Uncle Sam, another day another time....Bodes

btw....Are the picture links I posted working?....

No pics for me. Getting a 403 "Forbidden" message on my home PC and at work

And they're currently working on my PC....It's a mystery to me guys.....I was thinking perhaps it had something to do with Yahoo, as at first I couldn't get the pictures to download......Than I ran into the same thing, I would get the message you are getting....I than tried to post pictures directly and got a message saying: You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community...Too big?....Any thoughts as I am at my wits end?....Bodes

Should be able to do it from any pic on your computer. When you 'reply' to this thread, click the 'more reply options' button. Then go to the 'attachments' and click 'browse'. Then navigate to an image on your PC.

This image is stored on my PC, not hosted anywhere online:

post-3065-0-03835300-1460648839.jpg

Should be able to do it from any pic on your computer. When you 'reply' to this thread, click the 'more reply options' button. Then go to the 'attachments' and click 'browse'. Then navigate to an image on your PC.

This image is stored on my PC, not hosted anywhere online:

Chris, Thanks for the information....I went down to the library and had the librarian help me try and post the photos....All to no avail....I'm going to give it a rest for a bit, as I have other pressing issues...We'll see about having some new pictures taken....The ones I tried to post weren't that great any way....Bodes