The Berlin Candy Bomber in person

Vincennes

Today (Nov. 7, 2015) I attended a Remberence Ceremony for the 16 WWII British Cadets who were killed in training accidents while attending British Flying Training School #3 in Miami, OK. It was a very impressive ceremony with lots of pagentry. Present were representatives of the British Military, British Government, Spartan School (they ran the program in WWII), and even one graduate.

The school graduate present was Col. Gail Halvorsen (Ret.) Late in the schools history a few US Airmen attended and graduted from BFTS #3. Halvorsen graduated in June, 1944. He is best known as the "Berlin Candy Bomber" for his work during the Berlin Airlift in 1948-1949. He initiated the practice of dropping candy to the children of Berlin.

There was a book signing later of his book: "The Berlin Candy Bomber" (Horizon, 2014). The photo below shows Halvorsen and I after he signed my copy. He said "Thumbs up" during the photo, so that is what we are doing. Notice he is wearing both his RAF and AAF wings. He is also sporting 1st. Lt. bars...I am not sure why.

Paul

post-2319-0-84639700-1446944524.jpg