Mechanic's Tool Chest for Storage

skautdog

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed. I'm considering purchasing an upright mechanic's metal tool chest with multiple various sized sliding drawers. I plan to store items I don't have room for in my gun safe such as some bayonets/scabbards, knives, patches, metal insignia, belts, etc. I "think" I'd need to place rubber pads on top of drawer bottoms and possibly add ph neutral "dividing" paper on top of that. I'll store the chest in my basement which has a dehumidifier. Humidity is kept at 45-50%.

ANY ideas/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ken

Also check Sears and Costco. Sears has a nice line of tool chests from bargain-basement to those rivaling Snap-On. Costco usually has a roll-away for sale most all the time.

You used to be able to buy sheets of padding for the drawers at Sears and cut it to fit. Snap-On will usually include it with a new box, or you can buy it separately.

The non-skid shelf covering that you can get at Wal-Mart, etc. works great, but it tends to shift in the drawer so you may need to tack it down with some sort of adhesive.

Unless you have lots of extra $$$ to buy Snap-On, MAC or Matco, I'd look at sears first. The catalog or on-line catalog will have more options than most stores have in stock.

Shakethetrees

If you get a new chest for this purpose, lose the rubber pads. There is a foam used in the museum world that is acid free and does not have chemicals that leech out over time.

One cheap and easy way to avoid this is to use 100% cotton from old sheets, pillowcases, etc. I even use 100% cotton athletic socks and have done so for twenty plus years with no surprises.