Lt General grouping: Army and AF pilot in Vietnam

Bob Hudson

He flew Hueys in Vietnam for the Army (501st Aviation Battalion), then transferred to the Air Force and flew F-100's in Southeast Asia (308th Tactical Fighter Squadron).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Odder, two Air Medal ribbons...

One from the Army, one from the Air Force. He had almost 900 combat flight hours between the UH-1's and the F-100's. He served with the 82nd AB before going to Army flight school. Before the 82nd he was at Ft. Knox. He had 4,000 total flight hours, mostly in fighters and his last assignment was CO 12th Air Force.

He believes - as do I - that he is the only person who flew both Army copters and Air Force jets in the Vietam War.

Things like the beret and the Silver Flag Alpha (google that) cap are presentations from visits.

Here's the story on the beret:

ScreenSnapz.jpg

Looks like the top row of ribbons is missing on his uniform. I was pretty shocked a 1990s LTG would have a Defense MSM has his highest award! Should have another row for at least the DSSM and the LOM. In a pocket perhaps?

Great, great group!

Looks like the top row of ribbons is missing on his uniform. I was pretty shocked a 1990s LTG would have a Defense MSM has his highest award! Should have another row for at least the DSSM and the LOM. In a pocket perhaps?

Great, great group!

I have one of his LOM's (he said "I've got two and only need one).

He picked up a lot of patches, most of them presumably from visits to units. Any old patches are on the party suit.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Not in a pocket, but in a baggie with lots of loose insignia.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Some souvenirs of his Army service in Vietnam. He said he got these shirts from "some Special Forces guys." The hat, I've been told is civilian.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

One from the Army, one from the Air Force. He had almost 900 combat flight hours between the UH-1's and the F-100's. He served with the 82nd AB before going to Army flight school. Before the 82nd he was at Ft. Knox. He had 4,000 total flight hours, mostly in fighters and his last assignment was CO 12th Air Force.

He believes - as do I - that he is the only person who flew both Army copters and Air Force jets in the Vietam War.

So I still have a question regarding the wearing of the two Air Medal ribbons. I have seen some interesting combinations of devices on a single ribbon before, including ones from two services, but not two AM ribbons being worn.

That said, has anyone else seen this done before for the AM, and while we are at it, other awards like the DFC. And, if possible, does anyone know what the regulations say about it.

Thanks!