Marine VMF (N) 531 patch

Siamundo

I picked this up recently and was trying to narrow down the era on it as it is the first I have come across that appears to be a real vintage example. It is all cotton and fully embroidered with a very thin strip of dark blue twill separating the disc from the tab. Most sources I can find on-line state that Marine Fighter Squadron 531 changed its' designation from night fighter (N) to all weather fighter (AW) in October of 1948. I do have a copy of Millstein's book in which he writes the designation change took place in December of 1955. He provides a picture of an insignia but does not offer any manufacturing details like he does with most of the other insignia in his book. Could this have been WW II vintage or is it definitely post WW II? If it is post WW II would it date from up to 1948 or from the early 1950s? Hopefully someone is familiar with this insignia and can educate me.

post-2744-0-78888700-1446598061.jpg

VMF(N)-531 NOV 42 - SEP 44

VMF(N)-531 OCT 44 - JUN 48

VMF(AW)-531 JUN 48 - AUG 63

VMFA -531 AUF 63 - PRESENT

One of the coolest MC fighter squadron patches.

I found this on one of the 513th websites.I think this may be 1946-48 version.The one shown in Millsteins book has no unit designation strip on it.Its a great looking early 513th that's for sure.Scotty

img804.jpg

I agree with Scotty, this is most consistent with the "46-48 period. My notes show that the vmfn-531 was redesigned vmfaw-531 on October 14th, 1948. This patch is not WWII. As mentioned, and typical of virtually all USMC Aviation Squadron patches in WWII, there was no banner at the bottom of the patch.

Thank you Scotty and jpstout for the information about the origins of the design and the bottom banner. I was curious about the scroll across the bottom being WW II vintage or not since with the exception of maybe VMF 114 or VMSB-236 no other WW II USMC patches I have run across in person or reference material had anything that resembled a banner across the bottom.

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for weighing in. Unfortunately, that rectangular patch is a reproduction. The "Lost Worlds, Inc." site that has this displayed claims that these are all original WWII patches. However, at least 25-26 of the patches are outright fakes bad copies whatever reproductions. I am not aware of a rectangular configuration for this particular squadron during WWII, so that becomes a big red flag right off the bat, fwiw.

Siamundo, I think you are correct on the banner observation.

regards,

pat

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...