Storing of Patches Question

Sgt.Hinkley

I heard somewhere that it was bad to store patches in plastic but I cant find where I read it. What do you guys think?

Depends on the kind of plastic. Polyester, polypropylene and polyethelene are good, as is Mylar, all of which are supposed to be chemically intert. Most zip-lock bags are made from one these type of films and are fine for storing patches. You can also buy sleeves made from them that work well too. Just don't staple them to cardboard, or tape or glue them to anything, like I've seen done to hundreds of patches over the years.

How do I tell what kind of plastic my containers are made for if they don't have markings? What can happen to patches in the wrong plastics? Discoloration?

What B229 wrote is fundamentally correct, of course. The problem with some plastics is that they emit noxious nasty stuff that can be bad for artifacts, which can result in damage of various kinds, which is in turn entirely dependent upon what the patch (in this instance) is actually made of, in terms of dyes, textile types and so forth.

Mylar is pretty much a very safe bet every time, longest term.

Baggies and sleeves made for storage are safe, for many many many years.

The worst enemies are direct sunlight, moisture and critters who eat things.