Steve Preston & Austin Lee - Tragic Accident.

Sabrejet

Tragic news, which just goes to show that running these old WW2 vehicles is not without risk.

Oct 27: "Two people were killed Tuesday afternoon by an explosion inside a World War II-era tank at a public firing range 24 miles east of Bend, Deschutes County ( Oregon) Sheriff deputies said..."

Apparently it was an M18. They were filming and there was an explosion inside the turret. Cause as yet unknown.

Tragic news, which just goes to show that running these old WW2 vehicles is not without risk.

Oct 27: "Two people were killed Tuesday afternoon by an explosion inside a World War II-era tank at a public firing range 24 miles east of Bend, Deschutes County ( Oregon) Sheriff deputies said..."

Apparently it was an M18. They were filming and there was an explosion inside the turret. Cause as yet unknown.

That is so sad and horrible. Those poor men and their families. They obviously worked hard at maintaining and enjoying their passion only to have this tragic ending. As someone that has a keen interest in WWII armor, (even though I haven't had the personal experience of a ride or operation of one yet) it feels strange because I know I would have jumped at the chance to have been part of riding and firing this vehicle.

Frank

Yes, that's a photo of Steve Preston and his Hellcat. Great guy.

Also killed was 23 year-old Austin Lee, my brother-in-law's nephew. He was a WWII fanatic, and I gave him some of his first militaria when he was about 14. He wanted to get into reenacting, but was too young for the local club, so started off in airsoft. He was very personable and very knowledgeable - a good kid.

Sad news all the way around. Both Steve and Austin will be missed.

Yes, that's a photo of Steve Preston and his Hellcat. Great guy.

Also killed was 23 year-old Austin Lee, my brother-in-law's nephew. He was a WWII fanatic, and I gave him some of his first militaria when he was about 14. He wanted to get into reenacting, but was too young for the local club, so started off in airsoft. He was very personable and very knowledgeable - a good kid.

Sad news all the way around. Both Steve and Austin will be missed.

Austin was a member of my living history group, the Friends of Willie and Joe. Good kid, I still can't believe this (just heard this morning on my way to work).

Steve was a mover and shaker in the MV hobby in the US, his loss will be felt very widespread.

I won't speculate on what happened but I have so far heard a misfire was the root issue.

It was an M18. I knew the owner Steve Preston. One hell of a nice guy.

I know Steve from back when I owned a M5A1 Stuart tank.

Really a super nice guy. I hate that........

vintageproductions

We lost two fellow collectors here. I did not know the young man involved but did know Steve and he was a great guy.

We drove and fired this Hellcat on a TV show.

I did not know the young man involved

I did. He's getting lost in the notations of Steve's passing because Steve was better known.

But Austin was equally into WW2 stuff and an avid re-enactor and collector (though admittedly not as well known). I would have expected amazing things from him within this hobby had he lived.

Very, Very Tragic loss to the families and to the Military History preservation community. I have sent prayers to them.

I am hoping this doesn't have repercussions to the hobby. I have an affection for the M-18 as I was able to care for one in a veterans history museum I'm associated with for a couple of years. Ours came from the group out of the former Yugoslavia, and had a US de-milled76mm gun (breech block cut in half and a hole cut in the barrel). I was unaware these ever had 90mm guns in them.

BKW

Condolences to both families and friends.

What a loss for the collecting world.

I saw that Hellcat on Combat Cash too and was really impressed with the restoration of this TD.

Erwin

Very sorry to hear it. This accident has shaken the very foundation of MV restoration and reenacting.

I wonder if they were firing hot loads? Was it a new made or original breech? Any good gunsmith will tell you that receivers, like breeches, suffer fatigue over time and extended use. Worth considering.

To make matters worse: Austin's grandfather, Odell Lee, died last night (Thursday, October 29, 2015).

This has been a very tough week for the family. There is some sort of crowd-funding page set up to help with funeral expenses for Austin, but I can't find the link right now. PM me if you are interested, or I will post it here when I find it if the moderators think that's acceptable.