Post your WWII officer IKE uniforms!

doinworkinvans

I have no idea why one uniform would be chosen over the other but here are photos of an officer receiving the same award, the same day from the same officer wearing both coats.

post-87451-0-82078400-1446176143.jpeg

post-87451-0-80908700-1446176159.jpeg

I have no idea why one uniform would be chosen over the other but here are photos of an officer receiving the same award, the same day from the same officer wearing both coats.

It's almost as if they took the first photo and decided the flight surgeon (that's what he appears to be to me) was dressed better than the 2-star, so they made him put on his Ike that doesn't even have the 8th AF patch or wings on it!

doinworkinvans

Man that is strange indeed!

But that just goes to show he had both available, and show the 2 star wearing wool as well....

Pretty cool

Matt S. has hit the nail on the head with the awards photo. They have had the flight surgeon change into a similar uniform for uniformity's sake. I am sure that they went to the trouble of making him change out his uniform so that the photos could be distributed for publicity photos- most likely to the flight surgeon's hometown newspaper.

Bob Carter- I'm sorry, but based on the ribbed silk material on the CIB of your 505th Ike jacket, I've determined that it is Pakistani made and thus a fake. I'm now willing to take the Ike jacket off your hands as I know you wouldn't want it in your collection anymore. :lol: SUPER jacket Bob, thanks for sharing it!

Great photos throughout this thread!

Allan

Oh Allan, I'm crushed -another fake - I've tossed it into the fire (the polyester went up like a mother f*cker) and the ashes are headed your way freight collect !

Bob,

Thanks for shipping the Ike express, but why did you have to put such a high value on it? The shipping charges were horrible! THe jacket was EXACTLY as I thought it would look, just a little bit smaller. :lol:

Allan

post-151-0-92772800-1446295009.jpg

2LT David C. Shaw. Like Dudek, Shaw was a battlefield commission. He served in combat with the 44th ID. The other patch is for the 5th ID, although it doesn't show in my pic. This is an actual enlisted Ike, profusely named to Shaw. I bought this a number of years ago from his family, along with some German bring backs. Shaw was a big guy. The jacket is a 42 L. Shaw's record survives at NARA, and matches the uniform exactly (which is always neat)

post-110-0-88017500-1446297658.jpg

The Minton Ike jacket is interesting. Inside the sleeve you can clearly see that it had a round patch at one time, which was replaced with the 101st patch. I think this is the jacket he wore in the US with a GHQ Reserve patch on it, and later had it cut down to an Ike in England. The bullion wings and overseas bars are Brit made I believe...

Here is a 1944 dated MP Officer Ike jacket showing the exterior and interior patterns. The label and tag tell the story.

MP Off Ike.JPG

MP Off Ike back.JPG

MP Off Ike collar.JPG

MP Off Ike IX patch.JPG

MP Off Ike reg label.JPG

MP Off Ike QM label.JPG

Dang, I always love seeing that YD jacket. A sight for sore eyes.

Here's a somewhat related jacket which belonged to a fellow officer from the 104th Infantry Regiment. It's a standard enlisted Ike (not the officer's version) and has sewn-on butter bars and ribbons. He started out as a sergeant squad leader and received a battlefield commission, and was then reassigned to one of the regiment's ammunition and pioneer platoons. The 8th AD was his "going home" unit -- there's a faint outline of a missing 26th Division patch on the other sleeve, and the CIB and one set of crossed rifles were missing when I bought this, so my guess is the family made up a shadow box. I'll probably restore the patch to the right sleeve in the near future, but here it is as of right now.

post-112103-0-46991600-1446305946.jpg

And if we're talking Ike jackets in general, here's a beautifully tailored example made by Raman's of London. Unfortunately, no identification anywhere on it, but it came with a pair of US-made officer's trousers, so maybe this LT didn't want to spend any more money after buying such a fancy jacket. It also features a sewn-on ribbon bar with a Brit-made silver gilt star for all five of the 30th Division's campaigns.

post-112103-0-80811200-1446306402.jpg

Hi,

I am discouraged with the collection because of some recent events involving another colleague in business and loss of valuable items an exchange ... (apologize for the outburst)

But here are some uniform images I own:

Ricardo.

post-202-0-38520400-1446745645.jpg