Post your WWII officer IKE uniforms!

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

So I saw another thread recently that jogged my mind as to what the reason was for this? Was it just merely preference that an officer would choose to wear and IKE or enlisted jacket rather than the officer dress?

Were there any guidelines for this?

I think in hindsight I might have passed on some good deals that could have actually legitimate uniform, but thought they were "humped up" due to the officers insignia instead of enlisted.

Please post some good examples - hopefully researched out.

I do not have one to share as I am trying to learn here as to why this was done.

All examples welcome of course, but AAF would be lovely ;)

-DV

Johan Willaert

Some Officers wore the EM version, and some wore the Officers Regulation version...

Both were identical, except for the labels of course...

Officers' Regulation IKE from an Engineer Captain from the 29th Division

post-92-0-16258000-1446070871.jpg

post-92-0-57944300-1446070882.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Johan this could be that very jacket! Imagine? This is Capt. Wayne R. Stevens. 121st Combat Engineer Bn, 29th Div. I thought I had a photo where you could see the 29th patch...

post-3190-0-24912400-1446087631.jpg

Rob

Johan Willaert

Bear in mind that IKE jackets started out as a wool field jacket designed to be worn under the M1943 Field Jacket. Just like there was no difference between the M1943 Field Jackets issued to EM or Officers, these early IKEs, recognizable by the 'how to use' label on the lining at shoulder height were to be issued to all personnel.

The Officers Regulation version shown above would have been procured by the QM Dept and offered for sale through QM channels to Officers who purchased their own uniforms... Will post the Mfr's label of said jacket this weekend...

Johan Willaert

Johan this could be that very jacket! Imagine? This is Capt. Wayne R. Stevens. 121st Combat Engineer Bn, 29th Div. I thought I had a photo where you could see the 29th patch...

attachicon.gifstevens_01.jpg

Rob

Thanks Rob... We will probably never know... The Engineer IKE above has no ID at all...

I would like to elaborate a bit on Johan's point. Keep in mind the economic conditions that existed at the time. The American people were coming out of a severe economic depression, and money was very tight. Add to this the low pay levels at the time for military personnel. As Johan stated, they looked the same, so why not save the money. Jack

doinworkinvans

Holy smokes - I learned something new here today!

I had no idea there was an officers regulation "ike" .....I had just assumed the officers jackets were the dark gabardine material and of course the khaki ones as well...

Could someone post a side by side of the tags for comparison purposes? Did the officers jacket have the date tag as well on the inside pocket?

Johan Willaert

Could someone post a side by side of the tags for comparison purposes? Did the officers jacket have the date tag as well on the inside pocket?

Will do so tonight or tomorrow.... EM tags are usually in the inside right breast pocket and in the inside left pocket on the Officers' Regulation version...

Johan Willaert

And then of course there were the privately tailored and/or purchased ones...

This dark version belonged to a Company Commander in the 116th Infantry of the 29th Division...

post-92-0-19252700-1446128689.jpg

Johan Willaert

Will do so tonight or tomorrow.... EM tags are usually in the inside right breast pocket and in the inside left pocket on the Officers' Regulation version...

I was wrong in the above... Both EM and Officers' IKEs have the spec label in the inside wearer's right breast pocket. The Officers' 4 pocket coat has the label in the left pocket...

Anyway below the label of the Officers' IKE shown above and a label from an EM's IKE....

post-92-0-82845700-1446144897.jpg

post-92-0-99120300-1446144908.jpg

doinworkinvans

Well...how about that

for 28 years I've never known these to exist or either I didn't bother to learn!

The Officer's jackets procured by the QM are actually different from the EM's jackets. The Officer's version is a finer wool and has a different lining. There are a few other small differences as well. There are also "officer quality" jackets which have the same labelling as EM jackets. No idea why, but I've got one and have seen a few others.

Just because I haven't seen this one in a while I thought I'd dig it out - custom made Ike to Capt. George Roberts 505th PIR

post-329-0-31256400-1446153675.jpg

Bob -

Great jacket! Are those embroidered jump wings? I have always been told those were post-WWII? LOVE the cap patch as well!

Thanks for posting - I'll post mine later tonight.

Very best,

Bill K.

WW2 dated Ike. Worn by an MP officer ( 1st Lt.) but EM's issue. All of the insignia is directly embroidered but the bullion is sadly heavily tarnished. The ribbons indicate that this is probably an "occupation" jacket.

post-8022-0-72511300-1446158625.jpg

USAAF officer's Ike. Officer quality...finer wool, rayon lined.

( NB. I initially added the wrong photo but the software won't let me delete it...sorry for the duplication! If a mod can then please do so...thanks!)

post-8022-0-32490500-1446158737.jpg

post-8022-0-45635800-1446158744.jpg

post-8022-0-39800300-1446158811.jpg

Hand embroidered in bullion - all custom done and probably done in Germany during occupation.

Bob, thank you for the close up! Beautiful wings and oval!!! Really, the whole jacket is stunning!

Very best,

Bill K.