Recent Portrait Photo pick ups

Eric Queen

Always looking for good (unusual/rare) portrait photos. Here are a couple recent finds.

First, enlisted Marine pilot from the 30's wearing the "China" EGA's

usmc0002 x.jpg

Named to member of Co. H, 308th Inf. Was part of the "Lost Battalion". Also have his little diary which mentions his platoon getting lost

308th238 x.jpg

Fantastic portraits. The first marine division with the very rare gloucester tab is amazing and as is the named paramarine .And the diver is as good as it gets

Mark

Why is it that Marine privates always look so damn young! Reminds me of photos of my Dad every time I see one, no matter what the era.

Thanks for the comments. Portrait photo collecting is fun as it is one of those areas which is still relatively reasonable (price wise) compared to other things. In most cases (not all) an original photo of a rare item being worn is much more rare than the item itself and 1/10 the price.

Great photos!

Especially the diver-- I have owned several "action" shots, but yours is the first posed "studio" shot that I have seen.

Scott

Scott, Ron

Thanks. And Ron thanks for your latest contribution to the addiction (I mean collection :) )

And also my thanks to Jack, Steve, Brennan and Duke (all forum friends who helped me with the photos shown here)

Here is the one Ron helped me with. A nice early 77th SFG officer (Mills)

F.B.Mills0002 x.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Portrait photo collecting is fun as it is one of those areas which is still relatively reasonable (price wise) compared to other things. In most cases (not all) an original photo of a rare item being worn is much more rare than the item itself and 1/10 the price.

Some fantastic shots, Eric!

I, too, am a big portrait guy, but it's not unusual for them to sell high! I've definitely spent 3 digits on more than a few portraits in my collection. But it's a ton of history in a single snapshot

• 7 months later...

While moving portraits into the new subforum, I rediscovered this topic. Some fantastic Marine shots but, man oh man Eric, a geared up diver! Icing on the cake is the dive knife with the screw on scabbard!

Eric Queen

Thanks Tim. The more I think about it I am not sure if I have ever seen another portrait style photo of a diver from this period. Was fortunate to come across this one.