American Red Cross Insignia

jmar

Great thread. Here are a couple of items from my collection. The map that folds up to pocket size was printed on the back side of a German topo map of an area of Spain. Sorry about the lopsided pics. I did rotate them, but they still came out that way.

Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-25080300-1446241628.jpg

post-12790-0-28337800-1446241641.jpg

post-12790-0-51760200-1446241650.jpg

post-12790-0-78801700-1446241655.jpg

post-12790-0-30706100-1446241677.jpg

General Apathy

In Ken's post #19, there is a picture of the ARC Rainbow Corner location---but in London, not Paris.

Thanks, Al

.post-344-0-19909500-1446282511.jpg

Hi Al, your correct there is a photo of Rainbow Corner London on the pamphlet, sadly that building is no longer there. Back in the late 1970s I used to spend time in London researching and looking at buildings and places used by American forces in WWII, sadly Rainbow Corner had been demolished but I heard that when it was demolished they found wonderful paintings on the basement wall, I can't recall if these were lost during the rebuild or remained as the new build was ground floor up.

Regarding the image shown above, these are a few shots from a large collection of 4,000 photos taken by the Adjutant of the 7th photographic Reconnaissance Group, Mount Farm, Oxfordshire UK. All of these shots are previously unpublished ones, the Rainbow Corner is seen bottom left, the Adjutant that took all these photos can be seen stood in the centre photo top row. Most of his photographs have been annotated on the rear. The central photo has on the rear '" Scott and Joe talking with English Bobbies ( policemen) with ' gangster ' stood over on the left "

Lewis.

General Apathy

Ken,

Great Red Cross items you are adding! Your shoebox is bottomless! :D

...Kat

post-344-0-78862400-1446283407.jpg

Hi Kat, thanks I laughed at your comment about the shoebox being bottomless, this is a photograph on the internet of a tourist site sign which states " Bottomless Pit "

Lewis.

General Apathy

Impressive items and info, y'all! Thanks and keep posting!

Hi Cobra 6 and Joe, looking for more items in the shoebox when I finish typing this, hopefully I should have some enameled insignia to add.

Lewis

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Joe, I just pulled this from one of my display cases while checking for ARC badges or insignia, will continue looking in my shoebox for items, as you appear to enjoy the input.

Regards

Lewis.

VERY very nice!! I bet there aren't many of those still around!!

Thank you Lewis!

Joe

Great thread. Here are a couple of items from my collection. The map that folds up to pocket size was printed on the back side of a German topo map of an area of Spain. Sorry about the lopsided pics. I did rotate them, but they still came out that way.

Thanks, Al

Hello Al!

Thank you for adding more great ARC material. I appreciate you taking the time to scan and post. This is great! Now I need to get to work and start posting more here!!

Best wishes!

Joe

Hello Al!

Thank you for adding more great ARC material. I appreciate you taking the time to scan and post. This is great! Now I need to get to work and start posting more here!!

Best wishes!

Joe

Hi Joe. The only others that I have are these two pins. The small foldover pin has never been bent. I tried my best to get a closeup of the printing on the small foldover pin, but this was the best that I could do. Maybe someone can decipher it and give us a time period for the pin. Seems to me it is like like the pins we got in grade school for a donation and we would fold the pin over on the top edge of our shirt pocket. FYI--I am 70 years old and grade school for me started in 1950.

Enjoy, Al

post-12790-0-17415900-1446425908.jpg

post-12790-0-45159900-1446425914.jpg

post-12790-0-15265700-1446425919.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Well, I can make out "Local ___, Amalgamated Lithographers of America" ... but that's all I can read on it. Apparently this Union shop/association is still in business.

General Apathy

post-344-0-01914500-1446460356.jpg

Hi Joe & members, well I didn't yet get to any insignia in the shoebox but I pulled out this Red Cross sewing kit gift set. It's very interesting the way all the different color threads are woven together and can be individually pulled from the group. Inside the pack is a felt square with a number of needles and small pins attached.

Will add a couple of other pieces later.

Lewis.

General Apathy

Ken's last post reminded me of a couple more ARC items that I have. HBT ditty bag and a HBT sewing kit.

Enjoy, Al

post-344-0-33811300-1446498471.jpg post-344-0-47544700-1446498500.jpg

Not a great deal that I can add about these playing cards given out by the ARC, it's not a regular set of cards it's a game called ' Pinochle ' which I am totally unfamiliar with.

Hi Al, nice to see your ARC Herringbone twill items, I hope you have a few more little pieces stashed away, that you can share with us . . . . . . . . . . .

Lewis

Lewis.

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

Thank you again to all who have added to this thread, I hope that more will come!

Here are some of my numbered nurses' badges. A variety of makers, even a few with hand engraved numbers and one that is named!

Thank you for stopping by!

Best wishes,

Joe

post-48324-0-20224800-1452371875.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Meant to mention that it's pretty cool that the Motor Corps pin in Post #2 has a tire stem in the lower left quadrant of the wheel design!

Here are some of my numbered nurses' badges. A variety of makers, even a few with hand engraved numbers and one that is named!

Joe,

Very nice! Interesting that one is named. Do the numbers correspond to their records? Could you tell which nurse had these badges?

...Kat

Joe,

Very nice! Interesting that one is named. Do the numbers correspond to their records? Could you tell which nurse had these badges?

...Kat

Hi Kat!

I don't personally know of any number rosters for identifying the nurses' badges. This is a cross-over area of collecting: U.S. Militaria & U.S. Red Cross. I've been digging to see what I could find, but nothing concrete yet. I have read that "technically" these are to be returned or buried with the recipient.

Here is an interesting article on this badge, I had no idea it went back as far as 1906!

http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Nurses-Week---Nursing-Pins-Date-Back-to-1906

My hat is off, and I bow to these "Gray Ladies". If any happen to read this thread, I humbly thank you for your service.

More pics of Red Cross insignia to come, hopefully sooner than later!

Thank you for stopping in, you are always most welcome!

Joe

Santa brought me this one.

Thanks, Al

Hi Al!

I'll be at your house on 24 December 2016! Seems like Santa is giving your house preferential interest!

Thank you for posting!

Joe

Hi Al!

I'll be at your house on 24 December 2016! Seems like Santa is giving your house preferential interest!

Thank you for posting!

Joe

Red or white wine?