c. 1910 USMC uniform on a post card - real or artist fantasy

Bluejacket

I just picked up this 1910 era PC with a colorized image a Marine wearing a uniform I don't think I've seen before. I've heard of Whites & Blues but not Whites & Whites. Is this a real uniform or is the artist taking liberties?

Bluejacket

post-193-0-81691000-1445554608.jpg

Unusual combination, but correct cap for the era and yes they did have a five button white fatigue uniform with a high collar and upper pockets, but without a set of lower pockets . The EGA is miscolored though and should be gold. Ironically the uniform was phased out around 1910-12, about the same time you date this postcard. Cap would normally be worn with a white cover. Neat card!

Attached is an image that passed through eBay showing the uniform

image.jpeg

I have this post card, as well, and believe it was part of a series, as I have a similar one of a Sgt in dress blues being hugged by a woman in Victorian garb, complete with the hat, in front of a stone fortress that says 'I've got a stronghold'

Brig (or Bluejacket), check the reverse of the card for a series number. We might be able to track down more of the series through it

Theochrom Serie 1235

The other one I have is a different series number, but also by Theochrom, and is marked Printed in Germany. Same style photography, I'll scan it later

Theochrom Serie 1235

The other one I have is a different series number, but also by Theochrom, and is marked Printed in Germany. Same style photography, I'll scan it later

Brig,

Same as mine, with the Theochrom name. The "1" in the series number on mine has been written over, but it could only be a "1". I'll go through my post card book for others.

Bluejacket

Here the two are side-by-side, different series. The first one is sent, and has a postal stamp of February 1912 on it

001.jpg

This is all I have encountered. I bought them because of the Victorian garb on the women, my mother has always been a big fan of Victorian garb and an antique collector, and they were a good conversation piece on her last visit