Stained Bringback Flag

james127

I recently purchased a Flag from a woman that was brought back by her dad (by the name of Reeves) following his service in WWII. This was one of many items that he brought back. The flag has a few stains on it that I would like to remove if possible. When I was checking the fabric with a black light, the stains lit up like they were radioactive.

Does anybody have a recommendation on how to clean it without damaging the flag?

they might be blood that's already been cleaned off.

if you want to try to clean further you can try soaking it in woolite in a tub, but it may not do anything.

wash very gently and rinse very gently.. hang to dry.

-Brian

There are professional restoration companies out there that may (and I stress the 'may' part) be able to clean this. You could fire off an email to one of them and ask if its even worth doing that. I know of one in Montana and the other is in New Jersey (if memory serves).

I wouldn't risk it. What is the flag btw?

It's a 150 cm x 250 cm Kriegsflagge. There's 4 or 5 primary stains, but none of them are more than 4 or 5 inches in diameter. It looks like something was spilled on it when the flag was folded. I'm lacking enough solid info about the vet to post a full picture of the flag (per forum rules). If I find out more, I'll post a pic though.