WWII Torpedo Squadron 16 US NAVY M-422A Flight Jacket

KASTAUFFER

My newest M-422A US Navy flight jacket. Worn by a Radioman-gunner with Torpedo Squadron 16. He flew missions over Japan in June-Sept 1945.

The squadron patch is a decal on leather. The name tag has his name and USNR. The lack of wings/insignia is not unusual for WWII Navy name tags to enlisted men. The jacket was made by
Willis and Geiger.

01e2983575fc5519285f91141c48d2b2850c9a61a7.jpg

01edc7be07742541b0951c63fd681126d5463336a4.jpg

Nice one. Patched up Navy jackets are always a nice find.

JD

Thanks JD! I don't think most people realize how much harder it is to find a WWII patched Navy jacket than an A-2 with patches.

Kurt

Thanks JD! I don't think most people realize how much harder it is to find a WWII patched Navy jacket than an A-2 with patches.

Kurt

Great Jacket Kurt

I agree USN/USMC patched are not as common to see or find from the WW2 era compared to their Air Corps cousins

Painted Navy/USN are really scarce.

• 2 months later...
northcoastaero

Nice find! I was just viewing the PBS special Air Group 16 We Came to Remember along with doing some research on the

USS Lexington in 1943-44. According to some of my reference materials and wikipedia.org, VT-16 belonged to Air Group 16

aboard the USS Randolph (CV-15) flying the TBM-3 and TBM-3E Avenger in 1945. Hope this helps.

Nice find! You don't see many W&G's in that contract series. Most that I have/had are in the 290/290a contract. The jackets I'm reproducing are the 290a contract.

Speaking of patched Navy jackets, has anyone run across any with patches from other branches of service? I have a G&F M-422a with ATC chest patch & bullion Air Corps shoulder patch. At one time, it had a name strip, but had been removed prior to me getting it.