Civil War diary 1st NY Cavalry

This is not my area of collecting, but I couldn't leave it behind. I hope at $175 I didn't overpay. None the less I feel it was well worth it being a soldier having been from Grattan Michigan, only 15min from me. It belonged to Erwin C Watkins, and contains about 30 pages of information from picket duty, capturing confederate soldiers, casualties, and some engagements. The last half appears to have been finished after the end of the Civil War. I still have a lot of reading and encrypting to do given the legibility of the writing. Here is what I know of Watkins so far. He enlisted in the Michigan volunteers in 1860, and was attached to company K 1st New York cavalry(Lincoln division). He moved through the ranks very quickly, becoming corporal when he joined the 1st NY then lieutenant and then captain. He was appointed adjutant general on the staff of General Hunter in 1863 and later served under General Seward. He served with great distinction during the war, distinguishing himself during several battles. After his military career he was appointed US Indian Inspector in the administration of General Grant until 1878. That's what I know so far. I hope you enjoy the pics! I will try to post more information as it becomes available.

post-102692-0-00826900-1445121845.jpg

Based on the content mentioned, I think you did fine on the diary-- probably could make some good money on a resale!

If you don't have access, here is the HDS entry on your guy:

Erwin C. Watkins

Residence was not listed; 22 years old.Enlisted on 8/12/1861 at Grand Rapids, MI as a Corporal.On 8/12/1861 he mustered into "K" Co. NY 1st Cavalry He was discharged for promotion on 10/7/1864On 10/7/1864 he was commissioned into US Volunteers Adjutant Genl Dept He Resigned on 4/5/1865Promotions:* Sergt 5/25/1862 * 2nd Lieut 9/22/1862 * 1st Lieut 12/1/1863 * Capt 10/7/1864 (Captain & Asst Adjutant General)Intra Regimental Company Transfers:* 9/22/1862 from company K to company H * 1/1/1863 from company H to company K * 12/1/1863 from company K to company D Other Information:born 1/15/1839 in New Yorkdied 4/14/1911 Buried: Rockford Cemetery, Plainfield Twp, Kent Co., MI

There is also a photo:

post-124583-0-42231800-1445123553.gif

Scott

I stand corrected on some the dates I posted, given the recent information provided by scottiques. Thank you very much for the information!

Glad to help out-- I found it interesting that he enlisted into a NY Cav unit while he was in Michigan.

The photo was just "icing on the cake" as only a small percentage of the bios contain an image.

Scott

I would guess that having originally been from New York is why he enlisted in the New York Cav. And yes, that photograph is definitely icing on the cake!

I think that's a great civil war item to have! Very interesting and personal. I think that you paid a fair price and possible a bargain price.

Frank

USCapturephotos

Yeah. That was a great buy. I love it! I only have one Civil War diary in my collection and it is one of my most cherished pieces. Congrats!

Paul

It appears to start Sept 1st 1861 and ends sometime in 1863. He talks about getting their horses and later traveling the Potomac to meet up with Gen Burnside with which they spent over four days with. He also talks about leading a charge against the rebels. The wartime portion of the diary appears to end when he received his 2nd lieutenants commission and leaves the regiment. And thanks for the comments! I'm enjoying every minute of reading this!