SALUTE! 385th Regimental HQ-Co Commanding Officer Uniform Acquired!

carbinephalen

carbinephalen

Born in 1913 in Marion, Maryland, Captain Wilson entered the service in 1931 and was commissioned in 1933. He was one of the original cadre of the 76th Division when it was activated at Ft Meade in 1942. He first served as Company Commander of L/385th and later as the Company Commander of the Regimental HQ-Co. Along with the rest of the 76th, he saw service overseas in England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. He was wounded by a sniper during the 76th's fight in the Siegfried Line, however none of his records show him being awarded the Purple Heart.

Captain Wilson was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for Meritorious Service. He later went on to serve a distinguished career in the Army retiring a Lieutenant Colonel in 1962 but not before earning another Bronze Star in Korea. In his later years, he authored and published four books on historical subjects of Somerset Co. MD.

This uniform came directly from Wilson's estate sale. Also in the sale, were over $10,000 worth of German WWII bringbacks that Wilson kept in a private museum behind his residence after he retired. There were several uniforms auctioned off, however this was the only from WWII, the rest were postwar. It has been restored to reflect how Wilson would have worn it upon his discharge in 1945, before being called back to active service in July of '46.

This uniform is only the 2nd in my collection from a 385th veteran. No doubt my grandfather (2nd Bn Hq-Co/385th Regt) came in to contact with Captain Wilson regularly. Thanks for looking!

Wilson%2B1.jpg

Wilson%2B3.jpg

Citation.jpg

IMG_1937.JPG

You will have to keep an eye out and if they come up for sale again maybe you can pick them up, if i see them on ebay i will shot you a message so you can pick them up !