N.S. Meyer modern restrikes reproduction

Sabrejet

This is just my opinion...but no serious collector should tolerate a "filler" in their collection. A gap is just fine until the real thing comes along. Again, just my personal opinion. I tend to avoid Meyer insignia all together, unless it comes on a uniform that I trust.

This is just my opinion...but no serious collector should tolerate a "filler" in their collection. A gap is just fine until the real thing comes along. Again, just my personal opinion. I tend to avoid Meyer insignia all together, unless it comes on a uniform that I trust.

I'm a "serious collector" of 30+ years standing...I can tolerate them.

its not a filer its a real wing made from original dies in the 70s or 80s and what you want

may never show up, or the price is so high that its nuts family comes first. enjoy saber jet

and many of us have them and gal​d. we are not all high rollers ...

Remember, it's your collection, your money and your hobby. Ultimately, I think that the only person who's opinion is important for what you put in your collection with your money is you (and probably your significant other if you don't want to sleep on the couch)!

Good, hard info John...thanks. The whole re-strike issue divides collectors. As I mentioned at the beginning of my thread, I acquired those Meyer wings around 30 years ago when I had only just begun collecting, but I wasn't duped....I knew they were re-strikes. The thing is, they and other re-strikes be they wings or other items of metal insignia exist to satisfy a demand...not all collectors are die-hard purists. For example, here in the United Kingdom, regimental cap badges are very widely collected...and guess what...re-strikes abound! There are never enough originals available to satisfy demand, so an alternative are the re-strikes which honest dealers sell as such. As with US wings, knowledgeable collectors will be able to tell one from another...the most obvious clue being the patina. However, alas human nature being what it is, there will always be scope for unscrupulous dealers...and collectors too...to pass them off as "originals"...be they cap badges, patches, shoulder titles or whatever. We've now reached the stage where almost any type of WW2 miltary insignia, whether it's US, British or German, is available as a repro / re-strike. I actually subscribe to a British militaria dealer's email newsletter. They offer a range of Allied and German insignia and headgear which is available as new....or distressed...the choice is yours. The products are illustrated "before / after". The distressed items are frighteningly good and would fool all but the most expert of collectors. They are not being in any way "dishonest", rather, they are just responding to collectors' demands. It's all about education and familiarization...and the mantra Caveat Emptor is more applicable now than ever!

Ian

Example....a WW2 "Normandy" Acme cricket...before / after. The choice is yours! (the distressed version is more expensive) I'm not passing judgement here. Rather, I'm just illustrating the degree of sophistication which the re-strike industry is now capable of.

post-8022-0-57995100-1444717724.jpeg

post-8022-0-45746000-1444717730.jpeg

BILL THE PATCH

I don't collect wings at all, but those restrikes are really nice. I wouldn't mind having them hang on my wall. Since wings aren't my thing, patch collector mainly, I don't see a problem with them as a display. seeing that an original collection of wings would cost a pretty penny, I would have a nice display with out spending a fortune. Nice collection sabre!

Interesting discussion. I've always thought it was about the integrity of the collection - which reflects on the discerning eye of the individual collector.

As such, I'm far happier to have a solid collection with gaps that a bunch of restrike/fake fillers if I can help it. Also think of what happens later on if family/whoever is trying to move your collection. Then that lapse of knowledge leads to someone likely paying for your fakes (provided you aren't clearly labeling them).

Scott

Remember, it's your collection, your money and your hobby. Ultimately, I think that the only person who's opinion is important for what you put in your collection with your money is you (and probably your significant other if you don't want to sleep on the couch)!

Well said!