WWII 101st Airborne Insignia Group; Named?

Kadet

Here is a very frustrating little group that has defied my ability to assign an attribution. It was acquired at a Dallas, TX estate sale 15 years ago. The estate was that of the wife. The name associated with the estate sale was "Gates", but I can find no correlation. In fact there was only one officer by that name in the 101st (506th), but the circumstances and contents of the group don't seem to match up to him, although he was from Texas. The insignia itself is great, especially the Brit made and pin back pieces. There was also some late 40s 101st association paperwork with it. One clue might be found in the ETO ribbon. The star might actually be silver, really tough to say. So he might have served in another airborne unit prior to the 101st, or could have been a staff officer at the corps or army level....

post-110-0-90529700-1444469680.jpg

I find it odd that the rank is LTC, but there is a Good Conduct ribbon. No American Defense ribbon (i.e., not in pre War), so at the end of WW2, he was only in a few years. So, in just a few years, was an enlisted man at least a year (time needed for GCM) and made it all the way to LTC? May not all be to a single person. Or, things were added.

...certainly true. Or the LTC insignia could be from later in his career. The occupation ribbon indicates post war service to me, and the style of this ribbon is more late 40s/early 50s to my eye

Possible the LTC ranks were from a friend or fellow service member and they were just added in with his war time momentous, the star does look silver in the photo which could mean he saw a lot of action. For other members, what are the odds someone transferred units during the war ?

.....there was considerable shuffling of personnel between airborne units during and shortly after the war. If the star is silver, it would probably indicate service in the 82nd ABN.

.....there was considerable shuffling of personnel between airborne units during and shortly after the war. If the star is silver, it would probably indicate service in the 82nd ABN.

Hmmm thanks for the info, where you able to find anyone who was transferred from the 82nd to the 101st with the last name of Gates of is that a tough thing to find ?

...its tough to say for sure. The name Gates may not be accurate either. So many variables...a maiden name, re married name, the married name of a daughter who was holding the sale etc etc. At the end of the day, this is just a nice group of insignia that I got for a pretty nice price. Finding an attribution would have just been icing on the cake

...its tough to say for sure. The name Gates may not be accurate either. So many variables...a maiden name, re married name, the married name of a daughter who was holding the sale etc etc. At the end of the day, this is just a nice group of insignia that I got for a pretty nice price. Finding an attribution would have just been icing on the cake

Well good luck in your hunt for a name and even if you don't find that is still a great little grouping! Cheers

gliderrider401

Roy Gates, Jr. of 2/506 Co. E was married 2-3x I believe, and did reside in Dallas, TX at some point in his life.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I looked really hard at Roy Gates. He did have a few ex wives, and family in Dallas. In fact his daughter lives in the same Dallas suburb as the person I bought the group from. Some things don't line up though, unless I missed a few things with Roy Gates. I don't believe he was ever wounded, and also think he arrived to the 506th as a replacement late in the war, so the arrowhead and 4 overseas bars wouldn't line up either...then there is the LTC insignia. He is the only Gates that served as an officer in the 101st, at least that I can find.