I know what the medals say?

tarbridge

Here is a set I just found. ..but as the adage says...''Looks are deceiving ''.I cannot locate Master Sergeant T.J.Conaty....It is old engraving. ..and I do have an assumption.

rps20151009_173337.jpg

There is a Thomas J. Conaty who was born in 1897 - 1930 Census shows him as a Police Officer in Boston and a WWI Veteran.

Bill

There is a Thomas J. Conaty who was born in 1897 - 1930 Census shows him as a Police Officer in Boston and a WWI Veteran.

Bill

I have ordered AGO cards...but can find no reference of TJ Conaty and the award of the DSC...

Thomas James Conaty - WWI Draft Registration Card - Utica, IL Born 12 Sep 1888, Age 28

Thomas James Conaty - WWII Draft Registraion Card - Utica, IL. Born 12 Sep 1888, Age 53

If this is your guy, looks like a WWI and possibly WWII vet.

Info came from Ancestry

Not found in the official list of DSCs for WW1 and not found in the WW1 2nd Division Unit History roster of decorations for the 23rd Infantry.

Wharf

It might be my eyes playing tricks, but the engraving on the Purple Heart looks strange. Looks like there was another name underneath.

Chris

It might be my eyes playing tricks, but the engraving on the Purple Heart looks strange. Looks like there was another name underneath.

Chris

I think your right, looks like the PH has been shaved down to clean off a prior name and then engraved with Conaty's name, possibly an early case of "stolen valor"?

DakotaDave

The 2nd Division Unit History published by the 2nd Division Association in 1937 lists a total of 15 Enlisted Men of the 23rd Infantry that received decorations, US and French.

No man listed with this surname found for the DSC or Silver Star.

W

Obviously a fake and would dishonor your wonderful collection. Since I have no sense of pride, I will gladly take them off your hands and dispose of them.

Obviously a fake and would dishonor your wonderful collection. Since I have no sense of pride, I will gladly take them off your hands and dispose of them.

I would hate to see you fall off your doghouse. ..

I think your right, looks like the PH has been shaved down to clean off a prior name and then engraved with Conaty's name, possibly an early case of "stolen valor"?

DakotaDave

I await the AGO cards (if there are any) before I cast aspersions. ..but it looks weak.The Silver Star I believe...is WWII USN.I will examine closer the Purple Heart tomorrow. ..it did not seem to be grooved out as if shaved.

I can see BBB on the top of the Silver Star. Is it numbered?

Kurt

And the PH, it appears enameled, what is the number on it?

DakotaDave