Rare Bird? Douglas B-19

12thengr

I believe the experimental name was XB-19 and i dont believe it ever really left the experimental stage as the smaller bombers were better, i believe it was converted to cargo or something and it was a big help with the b-29 and b-36 but i think it ended up sitting out here at the bone yard and getting chopped up

After the Army decided not to go forward with it as a bomber it was used as a transport plane until the end of the war. I have seen photos of it and it looked like it was used after the war for weather studies. It was scrapped in Tucson in 1949.

• 8 years later...
Vahe Demirjian
On 10/9/2015 at 3:33 PM, Third Herd said:

After the Army decided not to go forward with it as a bomber it was used as a transport plane until the end of the war. I have seen photos of it and it looked like it was used after the war for weather studies. It was scrapped in Tucson in 1949.

The US Army Air Force planned to modify the XB-19 (re-engined with Allison V-3420s in 1943) into a transport, but those modifications were never carried out and the XB-19 made its last flight on August 17, 1946.

Wagner, R., 2004. American Combat Planes of the 20th Century: A Comprehensive Reference. Reno, Nevada: Jack Bacon & Company.

https://avgeekery.com/the-xb-19-when-bigger-didnt-necessarily-mean-better/