Black boots to brown

SmarT

Hello all. I have a pair of combat boots that have been died black. What is the best, and safest for the leather, process to returning them back to brown. Thank you for any help.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be reversible. Black leather will not easily take a brown dye. Brown > black, yes. Black > brown...problematic. It would probably take multiple applications to even begin to block out the black....IMHO.

Thee is a product that will strip out the dye of the leather ,but can I for the life of me remember it's name !!

I had to use some on a pair of shoes when I was at school

LB

I have had great luck with using saddle soap and a plastic bristle brush. Follow the directions on the can of saddle soap to the letter or else you will get a white waxy buildup when the boots dry. The saddle soap will pull the dye out of the leather and will allow you to re-dye them brown after you've got them stripped. DO NOT use any mineral spirits or petroleum based cleaners as they will dry the leather our really quickly.

Allan

They were brown to start and then died black. The black has rubbed off to the original brown in multiple areas.

Right...I misunderstood your intentions. I thought you wanted to re-dye them brown rather than remove the brown!

Backtheattack

Interesting thread, there are some former brown - now black items found here in Germany. Have some saddle soap so I can work.