WWII 113th Cavalry Group, "Red Horse" Unit Marked Helmet

USMC-RECON0321

Understanding serial numbers can possibly explain some of the issue with the last four digits being the same.As I understand the system of army numbers and granted I havent got a good handle on it...there are numerical designators in the first number or two that can determine draftee, national guard or area ? I have Braddocks book on tags and will see if there are other designators .I can see the replications of the last four numbers from the system used being the first nuner series define a type of individual.I have encountered men with two serial numbers.The most common were those who went to flight training and upon commission to officer were reassigned another serial number.One airborne

officer I know was discharged as enlisted then reassigned another number when commissioned.I may still have his copy of enlisted discharge.

USMC-RECON0321

Understanding serial numbers can possibly explain some of the issue with the last four digits being the same.As I understand the system of army numbers and granted I havent got a good handle on it...there are numerical designators in the first number or two that can determine draftee, national guard or area ? I have Braddocks book on tags and will see if there are other designators .I can see the replications of the last four numbers from the system used being the first nuner series define a type of individual.I have encountered men with two serial numbers.The most common were those who went to flight training and upon commission to officer were reassigned another serial number.One airborne

officer I know was discharged as enlisted then reassigned another number when commissioned.I may still have his copy of enlisted discharge.

Ron,

That is exactly correct. My Grandfather Frederick Bahlau has two service numbers given to him. First as an enlisted trooper with the 101st, then a new one assigned after being battlefield commissioned.

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

With Ron's permission I'm attaching pictures of his ID'd Red Horse 113th Cavalry helmet. Besides mine and his, the only other one known to have surfaced is in a collection over in Europe.

I like how on Ron's, there is a covered up and painted over NCO bar on the back.

post-33000-0-27943000-1444264663.jpg post-33000-0-03861800-1444264701.jpg

post-33000-0-49549800-1444264726.jpg post-33000-0-93628800-1444264685.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Sorry to revive this old post but I was wondering if the liners had the same markings as the helmets.

I am new to the Forum and have had a passion to learn more about the 113th since they were an Iowa National Guard unit. I have been in touch with Michael Vogt who is the Curator of the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum and he was not aware of the markings on the helmets of the 113th. I was just wondering if the liners had the same markings as the helmet.

Also I recently purchased a uniform belonging to a member of the 113th Cavalry 125th Cavalry Squadron and shortly afterwards his helmet showed up on one of the Facebook groups. The outside of the helmet had a small yellow square with a diagonal line through it. The liner however had the red horse over a lightning bolt. I would post the pictures but they are not mine to share.

Thanks,

Michael

• 1 year later...

There are pictures of marked liners but I dont think there are enough original painted 113th helmets that survived to say if the liners were all painted or not. Its very common in the 34th and 88th Division to see painted liners aas well as the 3rd ID and 1st ID.