WWII Officers Garrison Cap made in France ETO contract

ccyooper

Here is an unusual find. In the group of caps I purchased I found this one. I have seen ETO contract pants (unusual) but have never seen a hat that was contracted. It was difficult to take pictures of the label but it reads from top to bottom:

CAPS, GARRISON

OD, SERGE SHADE

OFFICERS

SIZE 6 7/8

TAILLE 55 DTG (DTG MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT)

CONTRACTOR .......

CONTRACT NO ......

SPEC DATED

18 NOV 1942

AS AMENDED

LOTNO-MFR 1590 (1590 MIGHT NOT BE RIGHT)

U.S. ARMY, ETO

INSPECTOR

MADE IN FRANCE

First cap I have seen manufactured in France under contract, but I suspect they are not that uncommon since I stumbled upon it.

CC

post-2641-0-23281900-1443985738.jpg

post-2641-0-38849100-1443985747.jpg

post-2641-0-43494900-1443985755.jpg

Interesting. The US Army didn't set foot in France until June 6, 1944. Any French-made items produced specifically for the US would not have appeared until after France was liberated. Probably an "occupation piece", so to speak? I've got over 70+ US garrison caps collected over a 30 year period, but have never seen a French-made one. Quite uncommon.

Doughboy militaria has a pair of pants made under a French contract, the label is almost the same. Didn't realize they were that uncommon. I'll have to keep looking to see if I can find more information on French made contracts. I believe the hat spec may have changed in late 44 (off memory from another of the caps I looked at), so there may have been a rather small window for that spec (42) being used in France...6 Jun until XX XXX.

Regards,