garrison cap

yoeri

found this on the net:

"

In 1940, with the issuance of the Dark Elastique garrison cap, gold braid was authorized for general officers, gold/black for other officers, and silver/black for warrant officers. Other piping was changed during the war as the Army changed organization. The Armored Force separated from Infantry and adoped green with yellow piping as its colors, and Transportation Corps was established with Crimson and Gold (hard to distinguish from Ordnance).

"

on some pages i found that mostly the officers didn't want to be a target so did use some of the uniform pieces as worn by EM , so i'm wondering would they use the gold or gold/black or rather use the same piping as theEM?

I've got some officer quality garrison caps with coloured BOS braid. Never sure if these were private purchase EM's caps or just officers' caps?!

we have EM's for armored , but i'm interested to find out if the officers used their colors or just the EM ones.

Officers were supposed to have the black / gold piping, but out of millions of men in the service, some officers chose to wear the enlisted version of the cap with branch-specific piping. I own a warrant officer's jacket that came with a khaki officer's cap with black/gold piping and a wool enlisted cap with ordnance piping, so the rules weren't always strictly followed in WWII. And most of the "officer quality" gabardine caps out there with enlisted piping would probably be private-purchase items for the enlisted men, not pieces made specifically for officers.

that mostly the officers didn't want to be a target so did use some of the uniform pieces as worn by EM

In that context, I think it is safe to assume they were talking about combat uniforms. Garrison caps were not supposed to be worn in combat.