Question about a B-17 gunner in WWII

cutiger83

Last night, I was reading a magazine article about a gunner on a B-17. He said he trained stateside with a B-24 crew. Before he shipped overseas with the B-24, he was reassigned as a replacement for a gunner on a B-17 and shipped overseas with the new crew. He said the original gunner refused to go overseas so he replaced the soldier. My question is regarding the soldier who refused to go overseas. What would the Army have done with him? Would he be dishonorably discharged? Would he be reassigned stateside? Would he be court-martialed for desertion? What would the Army have done to the soldier during WWII?

...Kat

I didn't think they got a choice- maybe the other soldier was Conscientious objector and was reassigned to non-combat duty- I am pretty sure during WW1 the CO's were jailed///////but I believe that some during WW2 were reassigned to non combat/medical and I even think some could stay home so long as they were in a job of national importance.........

?

I wasn't sure because this guy obviously went thru all of the training then decided just before shipping overseas to refuse to go. I would think that a conscientious objector would have declared so long before going thru any training. I have never heard of someone going all the way thru the training then refusing. This is why I asked the question.

Probaby stripped of his rank and rating and shipped to the infantry.......or court-martialled and sent to the stockade.

Bob,

If he refused to go overseas, then I think they would not have put him in the infantry. I am thinking he would have been court-martialed but not sure.

...Kat

RustyCanteen

Kat,

I'm sure you have already heard of it, but if you are not acquainted with the story of Eddie Slovik, it might prove to be interesting to your question.

RC

BILL THE PATCH

He was the only us soldier shot for cowardice during the war. There was an epidemic of desertions , ike simply made a example out of him. Played by Martin sheen. Good movie