medal display question

TLeo

Just a question about display/storage of medals.....I know a lot of use either riker cases or wood cases with thick foam to display medals, etc. I also know about the long term effects the foam can have when it starts deteriorating after a long time, but what about using felt or other material over the foam with the medals not in contact with the foam? Are there any bad effects with that method?

Garth Thompson

Just a question about display/storage of medals.....I know a lot of use either riker cases or wood cases with thick foam to display medals, etc. I also know about the long term effects the foam can have when it starts deteriorating after a long time, but what about using felt or other material over the foam with the medals not in contact with the foam? Are there any bad effects with that method?

That is what I do and have had no damage to the medals or ribbons.

Same here...I use a layer of wool over the foam. No issues in many years and it makes the display look better, IMHO...

That should be "wool fabric" or "wool cloth"...don't want anyone thinking I'm skinning sheep for my mounts! :D

I have found that in some cases, felt over foam causes sterling silver to turn black on the reverse side.

Not sure if this is caused by the foam or something in the cloth. I keep sterling wings in standard rikers with no cloth.

I have had no problem with any medals or badges kept in unmodified riker mounts.

Wharf

Almost completely unrelated, but just as an aside...traveling around and seeing so many collections and storage methods, one way that I would NOT recommend for storing Purple Hearts (and Air Medals, and DFCs...anything with a flat back) is on top of their closed coffin cases. In maybe 90-95% of the displays I've seen, there's been no issue. But, I've seen more than enough (maybe 10-12) where the medal has adhered itself to the case due to the flat back of the medal. Same thing goes for coffin cases stored in Riker mounts where the lid touches the glass of the mount directly. A lot depends on the humidity of the room the collection is stored in and the condition of the coffin case (some are stickier than others for some reason...) But just something to watch out for as it's a really bad feeling when you can't remove a medal from the top of a coffin case or can't remove the case from inside the Riker mount (or it comes off with the lid!)