USMC China (?) cold weather hat

Shakethetrees

Hello all, here is something I've owned for over twenty years and never have shown. I'm familiar with the China Marine winter caps with sheepskin and wool with the large enameled diamonds.

This gentleman is sheepskin on wool but the EGA is mounted on a smaller all bronze diamond, no enamel. Never had any. Some stitching has come loose but the screw/nut is frozen, so I can't take it off to see if it's marked.

The liner appears to be quilted silk, and has a few white stitches possibly for a spec tag. Not positive on this.

Any idea of age, or any particular circumstances it was worn?

post-160253-0-96271500-1442984595.jpg

post-160253-0-11668600-1442984609.jpg

post-160253-0-63413800-1442984622.jpg

It's Icelandic. The polished metal or shaving mirror shields were used by Marines in Iceland, and the green/gray was not used in China, I believe. The ones used by China Marines were generally much more fragile in construction

Your cap is a cold weather cap used stateside and most famous for its appearance and use by the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade in Iceland in 1941. To my knowledge it's use was never adopted in China, as the "China Marines" already had been using Chinese made fur caps for decades. In the real ones I have handled, the diamond plates on the Iceland caps can be of polished German (nickel) silver or a clipped mirror from shaving kit. It appears your diamond plate may be brass? Or is that tarnished silver?

Your cap is a cold weather cap used stateside and most famous for its appearance and use by the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade in Iceland in 1941. To my knowledge it's use was never adopted in China, as the "China Marines" already had been using Chinese made fur caps for decades. In the real ones I have handled, the diamond plates on the Iceland caps can be of polished German (nickel) silver or a clipped mirror from shaving kit. It appears your diamond plate may be brass? Or is that tarnished silver?

there are more variations of the diamond out there.

Care to elaborate or quantify this claim?

none were owned by me but there have been a few with a red diamond some with brass then the common polished metal and mirrors. some other have seen even more than that though i have not.

diamonds similar to that of the china marine hats.

none were owned by me but there have been a few with a red diamond some with brass then the common polished metal and mirrors. some other have seen even more than that though i have not.

diamonds similar to that of the china marine hats.

I have seen red diamonds, even sold one once. They are painted, however there is no evidence that these were worn on Iceland caps that I know of. All quantifiable evidence (photos and groupings) show silvered or mirrored diamonds. Brass may have been among the metals. I have not seen or handled any painted red diamonds with provenance.

These are in no way similar (other than a diamond shape) to that of diamonds worn in China. The thread I started here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/245678-usmc-peking-legation-china-marine-fur-hat-and-diamond-w-ega/?hl=%2Bchina+%2Bmarine shows you what those should look like.

I have seen red diamonds, even sold one once. They are painted, however there is no evidence that these were worn on Iceland caps that I know of. All quantifiable evidence (photos and groupings) show silvered or mirrored diamonds. Brass may have been among the metals. I have not seen or handled any painted red diamonds with provenance.

These are in no way similar (other than a diamond shape) to that of diamonds worn in China. The thread I started here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/245678-usmc-peking-legation-china-marine-fur-hat-and-diamond-w-ega/?hl=%2Bchina+%2Bmarine shows you what those should look like.

it was the diamond shape and the red that i was referring to when i said similar, they are not the same it was just a general idea of similarity. i apologize for the confusion