The "Comancheros"

tarbridge

A salute to our Brave souls traveling to far off lands flying directly into harms way.To the Comanchero's...

I just received WO1 John M Rizzo,Jr's medal group and I'm posting the information I could find at this time.

John was from Oceanside,New York and was born 13 March, 1948.He took Flight Training at Forts Wolters and Rucker and received his wings 11 March 1969...Flight Class 69-1.

On 14 January, 1970...While as a member of A Co. 101st Aviation,101st Airborne Division...The Comancheros...WO1 Rizzo was flying a UH-1H #67-17349 on a mission to Thua Thien Province.It was on this mission WO1 Rizzo's Huey substained heavy fire forcing them to crash in the Binh Dinh Province.I have found little printed informating relating to his mission on 14 January 1970.

The casualties that day.

WO1 John M Rizzo,Jr Pilot

Sp.5 Gerald lee Schwuchow Crew Chief

Sp.4 Clarene S Turner III Gunner

Cpl. William G Little Passenger

Rescued...

Passenger Lt.Tom Carlson..thrown from aircraft still in his seat.

Passenger David M Butler...it has been discovered Butler is a Pilot.

There is a discrepancy involving the passenger list...each one listed on different sites.

WO1 John M Rizzo,Jr

181245.jpg

Medals that were included in WO1 Rizzo's group.

Bronze Star

Air Medal w/9 appurtance

Purple Heart

Army Accommendation Medal

National Defense Medal

Republic of Vietnam Service Medal

Vietnam Campaign Medal

National Order of Vietnam 5th Class (Knights)

South Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Gold Star

rps20150921_110033 (640x615).jpg

Photo of Augie, Rizzo, Madden

260041 (404x434).jpg

Very poignant group Robert.THanks for posting.There is a veteran who was a local here that especially with the Commancheros.His brother and I are good friends and s hook mates.Brings back memories of seeing his old tour jacket.

Great group, Robert! Nice to see an original group still together (I know of one that was put back together after visiting four different tables at the same gun show). I bet someone out there has the additional information you seek.

Hi Robert, DavidM. Butler listed as Pilot not Passenger. He is NOT listed on the VHPA list of KIA's that I could find but that just a probable error and I will look into that a bit more.

Hi Robert, DavidM. Butler listed as Pilot not Passenger. He is NOT listed on the VHPA list of KIA's that I could find but that just a probable error and I will look into that a bit more.

Thanks.He was listed in one place and not another...thought as he was listed with no rank.I had just talked to a friend who was a Vietnam Door Gunner...he said I was missing a Pilot.

Sorry, I missed that Butler survived the crash. He was the Pilot ( There were 2 pilots on the UH-1, AC being the aircraft commander, P being the pilot). So 3 crew were KIA, one Passenger was KIA.

The Cpl William G Little killed that day was this Marine.

William Gregory Little

Corporal

3RD FORCE RECON CO, III MAF

United States Marine Corps

Here is a remembrance left about Cpl Little.

.Posted on 6/27/13 - by Dennis D. Graham; Cpl; 2496821; USMC

We had fun in grade school... We had fun in bootcamp (sort of)... We had fun in Infantry Training... Why did you go Recon?! I finally found you in 'Nam. I was in the 3rd Recon hooch listening to the radio while your guys were being chased through the jungle trying to get extracted... Only to hear the crash... And, later to find out you were riding on the skid cause the chopper was overloaded... I miss you Brother!

Also this...

Chopper shot down killing 4 on a recon insertion mission

rps20150921_214038.jpg

• 1 year later...

RIP Sir.

I have been contacted by the family and we have been able to work out the details.Michael is going to his two brothers and his mother.

Schofield1943

RIP Sir.

I have been contacted by the family and we have been able to work out the details.Michael is going to his two brothers and his mother.

Ain't that something.