Buffalo Soldier Photograph

kanemono

While researching an Indian Wars Medal to a Buffalo Soldier I found out that there was a photograph of him in the book. Illustrated Review Ninth Cavalry, U.S.A. Fort D. A. Russell, Wyoming 1910. Here is some information on the book from one that was for sale:

Notes: an exceedingly rare history of the famed 9th cavalry of "buffalo soldiers" of which only one other copy is known Provides a chronological history of the 9th and all of it's encounters from its formation in 1866 through 1910. Copiously illustrated with group photos of officers and enlisted men, with a full listing of every man and his place of residence. The establishment of the 9th Cavalry at Fort D.A. Russell began with a violent insurrection of white soldiers that was quickly put down. This history gives its details and states that it was the first and last such incident. The remainder of the history provides richly detailed encounters with the Comanche, Apache, Kickapoo and other tribes as well as with the Mexicans. The period from 1890 through 1898 is particularly rich in terms of the number of encounters with the local tribes, including the so-called "ghost dance" and "Messiah" movements and the killing that took place as a result. A rare and detailed regimental history.

The other copy known is in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. I called the library and for a fee of $15.00 they scanned the photo and sent me a TIFF file and a PDF of the text. Below is the library's description of the book:

• Title:Illustrated review, Ninth Cavalry, United States Army, Fort D. A. Russell, Wyoming : embracing an historical sketch of the movements and operations of the Regiment since organization : roster of its present officers, field, staff and line : non-commissioned staff, band, Troops A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, K, L and M : with illustrations, the names of veterans of the Indian campaigns, Spanish-American War, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition, and qualifications of marksmanship of the personal / written and compiled by Medley & Jensen.
  • Published/Created:Denver, Colo. : Medley & Jensen, 1910 (Denver, Colo. : The Williamson-Haffner Company)
  • Physical Description:88 p., [1] fold. leave : ill. ; 20 x 43 cm

I have included this information in case someone has a Buffalo Soldier IWM an might find his photograph in this book. My Buffalo soldier was in both the 9th and 10th Cavalry.

If you click on the image you will get a larger picture.

I was ablr to get a fairly good image of the individual from the hi-rez scan and clean it up in Photoshop.

Dick

post-9487-0-60551300-1442680685.jpg

post-9487-0-45472600-1442680695.jpg

post-9487-0-21846200-1442680707.jpg

post-9487-0-16248100-1442680963.jpg