• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oakleaf777

oakleaf777
  • Members
    • Member ID: 160,238
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

I was the winning bidder on the Ebay auction linked below for a pre-WW2 khaki tunic

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

The tunic is listed, obviously, as U.S. Coast Guard. Although the pictures show early split-ring detachable USCG buttons, the tunic itself looks very much like an Army M1926 khaki coat. Specifically with respect to the shoulder epaulettes and the belt hooks with the cloth loop and button attachments. I have researched pictures of USCG khaki uniforms from the WWII era, and none of the ones Ive been able to find show epaulettes on the coat. Furthermore, it looks like USCG shore duty khaki coats do not have flaps over the 2 lower pockets of the tunic.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? I am guessing that maybe someone just put USCG buttons on an Army tunic?

#2 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

It is extremely close to the description of the 1930s USCG CPO aviation khaki summer uniform blouse. The lower pockets were supposed to be bellows type.  Perhaps some Coast Guard  CPO Aviation Pilot was close to an Army facility and able to pick up a uniform close to the CG regulation.  The CG has always been 'frugal' and been adaptable with uniforms..

Check the sleeves for signs of sewing on the CPO rating badge and hashmarks on the left sleeve and the CG shield on the lower right sleeve.

The Coast Guard Historians website has a copy of the 1930 uniform regs online...

#3 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Try this link to historical documents and search down for the 1930 regs..

http://www.uscg.mil/...stdocsindex.asp

#4 agate hunter

agate hunter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,495
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

Well I don't know if the USCG ever would have used the khaki M1926 Army coats or not, but I would just say it is an army coat that someone added USCG buttons to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users