The Heartbreaking Odyssey of The Ruzich Family

J.S.

My great-grandmother was friends with the Ruzich family of Illinois during the war, and related their heartbreaking story through a letter to my grandmother.

post-153699-0-76566900-1442000230.jpeg

A young Tony Ruzich Jr.

The family consisted of Tony Ruzich, his wife Lucille, a daughter, Rose, and their three sons, Louis, Tony Jr., and Rudy. The parents had emigrated from Croatia and raised their budding family in the coal fields of Illinois. Rudy, it was said, was Tony's clear favorite and he was always meant to work the farm with his father when he graduated high school. When war broke out, however, all three sons answered their country's call. Louis was the first to be drafted, Tony Jr. was next, and lastly Rudy. Their father had desperately attempted to gain an exemption for Rudy, as two sons had already gone into the service and he was needed to tend the farm, but it was denied.

post-153699-0-08560900-1442000374.jpg

Louis Ruzich shortly after joining the Army.

Louis was drafted on December 16, 1941, and landed a position in the Army Corps of Engineers. He volunteered for hazardous duty and was sent to Jump School. Louis received schooling in special warfare before being sent to Burma with OSS Detachment 101, earning an Air Medal for bravery during a guerrilla resupply mission. He survived the war and returned home, the only Ruzich son to do so.

post-153699-0-44539700-1442008010.jpg

Tony Ruzich Jr. in uniform.

Tony Ruzich Jr. was assigned to Company L, 317th Infantry, of the 80th "Blue Ridge" Division. His unit participated in the breakout in Northern France and, during the Bulge, was rushed to to plug the hole in the line. The 3rd Battalion of the 317th spent their Christmas fighting for their lives on Bloody Knob, around Kehmen, Luxembourg. Tony went missing during the fighting and his comrades found his remains three days later, on the 28th. His parents received the notice in early 1945, and all were devastated. His father became mournful and withdrawn, repeatedly saying he wouldn't know what he would do if Rudy was killed.

post-153699-0-56100500-1442000322.jpg

Rudy Ruzich with his car.

Rudy Ruzich was sent to I Company, 71st Infantry, of the 44th Division. He fought through Europe and was tragically killed in the last major battle of the European Theater, Fern Pass in Austria. The 71st came across an SS Division holed up in the Austrian mountains and engaged in fierce fighting. Rudy's best friend was captured by the SS troops and in a rage he stormed the garrison alone, firing madly. He was cut down in a hail of gunfire on May 2nd, 1945.

Three days after celebrating VE Day, his father received the notice his youngest son had been killed. He left the house and shot himself in the woods.

The Ruzich family was torn apart by the war, like so many others. Lest we forget.

(Thank you to Judy Bezjak for providing these pictures of the Ruzich family)

How horrible. Some may see a dog tag, a uniform, or a pair of boots. I'm glad there are people like us here that realize there are back stories to these items, some as unfortunate as this..

• 1 year later...

I am the daughter of Rose (Ruzich) Bezjak mentioned in this post. My grandfather, Tony Ruzich, Sr., after receiving notice of his son, Rudy's death, did not go into the woods and shoot himself. He was found drowned in the Big Muddy River which wound through the back of their farm. Tony Ruzich, Jr, died on Christmas Day 1944 near Kehmen, Luxembourg, not Belgium. He lies at rest in the Luxembourg Cemetery along with General George S. Patton and over 5,000 other heroes. Rudy Ruzich is at rest in the Lorraine Cemetery in St.Avold, France, the largest WWII cemetery in Europe with 10,489 graves. My mother passed away in March 2015 at age 97. She mourned for her brothers and father for 70 years. The mere mention of their names would evoke tears. Not all the victims of war are on the battlefields.