D-Day Combat Medic Uniform

Collector .45

Collector .45

Here is a uniform that I picked up back in early June off of Craigslist of all place. I only had one picture to go off of and I will say, I was pleasantly surprised when I got it. Nicely written in the uniform is O t t o S c h m a l t z. I was really blown away when I started doing the research. Here is a brief interview on his experience landing on D-Day and the months after.

post-104196-0-01928500-1441679903.png

post-104196-0-80914200-1441679919.png

Collector .45

Here is some more information about his war service. What is really astounding is that an interview was conducted with him back in 2007. I also found a picture of him.

Here is a link to the interview:

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/web5/media.php?pdf=1&irn=10171110

Otto Emil Schmaltz

1922 - 2009

Born on December 23rd 1922 in St. Paul Minnesota. Mr. Schmaltz worked for the Cudahy Packing Company before being drafted into the U.S. Army in May of 1943. He Reported to Ft. Snelling for his induction.

“ I came home at night. We were allowed to get a pass after the day’s activities were over at Ft. Snelling. It was all the things that they normally went through. You had to get vaccinations. You had to get an IQ test. You had to get physicals. You had to fill out forms and papers and all kinds of things of that nature. You had to be back in camp by seven o’clock in the morning, but you could get a pass to go home at night if you lived fairly nearby.” - Otto Schmaltz

After being inducted into the U.S. Army, he was sent to Camp Barkeley Texas to attend boot camp. He was selected to become a combat unit medic and he was enrolled in basic medical courses. After boot camp and basic medical training, Mr. Schmaltz was transferred to Ft. Lewis in Washington State. He received advanced medical training there and he was put into the newly formed 31st. Medical Company. Their company was put into the 4th Infantry Division. His training was completed in early March of 1944. Shortly after completing training, the 31st. Medical Company was sent by Troop Train to Camp Kilmer New Jersey. He departed New York on the Queen Elizabeth I in late March of 1944. After a long journey across the Atlantic, Mr. Schmaltz arrived in Edinburgh in the very early morning hours. After being stationed in England for many weeks, they finally set out on the English Channel on June 4th 1944.

post-104196-0-26236300-1441681502.jpeg

Collector .45

And another one. Unfortunately, the invasion arrowhead was broken off before I got. Does anyone know where I can get a period replacement?

post-104196-0-32302600-1441731630.jpg

Which patch does he have on the right shoulder? I have a jacket to a medic who wore the 4th ID and the ETO CommZone patches, so he must've been reassigned after landing on Utah.

This is one of the best Craigslist finds I can think of, recently!

Collector .45

Which patch does he have on the right shoulder? I have a jacket to a medic who wore the 4th ID and the ETO CommZone patches, so he must've been reassigned after landing on Utah.

This is one of the best Craigslist finds I can think of, recently!

Funny you should mention that. The uniform has the European Theater of Operations patch on the right sleeve, however he in the interview he states that he never wore the 4th ID over there. Its a rather interesting uniform based upon the insignia.

- Henry

DB: Doug Bekke (Interviewer)

post-104196-0-10816800-1441740455.png

Henry

Not uncommon for the medics to have been with a few different units and not wear the divisional patch originally assigned too.Many were under certain Army Commands or encompassed in to the units that wore ETO Advanced Base unit patch(s).

I have 2 scrap books to a medic who was with the 2nd Division.Appears after he was wounded he ended up working or reassigned to a Battalion/Division field hospital.In the books there are several patches to include 2nd Division,102nd Division,9th Army,ETO Advanced.He must have senta lot o home nd his wife made the book.Lots of photos.

Im guessing your man being wounded may have ended up assigne to a Base or field hospital and then 2nd Army was hs discharge unit state side.

Henry, the name is really familiar, I wonder if he spoke at one of the WWII Roundtables years ago.

Have you checked in with Doug on the guy yet? Wonder what other background he could add.

Austin,

It is entirely possible that he did. I have not talked to Doug yet however I plan to give him a call this coming week.

- Henry

• 8 months later...
Collector .45

Today,

72 years ago, Otto E. Schmaltz went ashore in France on Utah Beach carrying nothing but medical packs.

Being that today is the 72nd Anniversary of D-Day, I thought I would bring this back to honor his service.

- Henry

The full and correct Army title for the 31st Medical Company was the 31st Medical Depot Company, it was a 1st Army troop unit troop unit, maybe it was later it came under COMZ, maybe floated back in forth between 1st Army and COMZ . I guess if Schmaltz wanted he could of certainly wore a 4th Inf Div combat patch, certainly other guys from units that were merely attached to a combat division during the war did so to some degree.

Here's a little more on the 31st Med Dep Co.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/medicalsupply/chapter10.htm

https://www.med-dept.com/unit-histories/261st-amphibious-medical-battalion/

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Collector .45

Otto Schmaltz landed in France at Utah Beach 73 years ago today. Rest easy sir.

- Henry

• 2 weeks later...

Henry,

thank you for putting that up again. Great looking uniform you must be please! It really is a plus to have a vet's testimony as well, it's hard to get an exhaustive picture of what they went through over here, and every recorded talk help us today!

Thanks for sharing this great piece

kind regards

Jeb

• 1 month later...