Navy Jet Helmet

hink441

Well I went ahead and purchased this helmet. I found it in a local antique shop. This is my first helmet, and I believe I will leave it just like I found it. I believe this is a VF-213 helmet from around the late 80s. Has the name "Clark" with what looks like "PAH" above the name.

I really don't know a lot about these helmets, but I think this is an early HGU-55. Looking for any additional info and comments!! Thanks for looking. Chris

post-10825-0-56456100-1441648572.jpg

Looks good and I agree about it being VF-213. It looks to have been made by (or at least the chrome receivers) by flightsuits ltd. which at one time was Protection Inc who made custom helmets for a lot of squadrons. .It is interesting that the stars are not present around the lion.

Yes I agree the stars missing is somewhat strange. I have found some pictures online that show their aircraft without the stars on the Vertical stabs.

You have a good eye, the O2 receivers are made by Flightsuits LTD. I have never heard of them before.

The ear cups have fallen and the Velcro is worn and needs replaced.

Do you think this helmet is from the late 80s?? I really do not know for sure.

Anybody have a clue as to what " PAH " means ??

Chris

Yes I agree the stars missing is somewhat strange. I have found some pictures online that show their aircraft without the stars on the Vertical stabs.

You have a good eye, the O2 receivers are made by Flightsuits LTD. I have never heard of them before.

The ear cups have fallen and the Velcro is worn and needs replaced.

Do you think this helmet is from the late 80s?? I really do not know for sure.

Anybody have a clue as to what " PAH " means ??

Chris

Flightsuits used to be Protection Inc and now goes by the name of Gibson-Barnes. They still sell custom made helmets and the related parts for aviation helmets and communications. I don't recall exactly when the 55s were introduced by that seems about right...early to mid 80s. If you wanted to fix it up, then another source for parts is customflighthelmets.com.

Not sure about the PAH. As you know they put "callsign names" on them these days but I don't think that was prevalent back then. I suppose it could be a early use of that, but then you also have the name tape on the bottom. Nice find indeed......I wish I could find some of these around local stores.

What this could very well be is an HGU-33/P to HGU-55/P upgrade which is an even better find. In the mid 1980s the US Navy Authorized use of the HGU-55/P only they didn't have any of the helmets yet. The Navy pilots liked the visor arrangement on the HGU-55/P and a RAC (Rapid Action Change) was issued that allowed the riggers to field modify the PRK-37/P shell by removing the visor and lens and retrofitting the HGU-55/P style visor. The HGU-55/P out-of-the-box was gray and gray leather trim and this did not deviate. Can you tell what color the shell is underneath the tape? If its white then it is a PRK-37 Shell. Check the visor and see if it is a standard visor or as I suspect, a PRU-36/P dual visor field modified for this application (didn't have the visors yet either). It could be a Protection Inc conversion but I would think it more a rigger's work and that is far and away a better find.

What this could very well be is an HGU-33/P to HGU-55/P upgrade which is an even better find. In the mid 1980s the US Navy Authorized use of the HGU-55/P only they didn't have any of the helmets yet. The Navy pilots liked the visor arrangement on the HGU-55/P and a RAC (Rapid Action Change) was issued that allowed the riggers to field modify the PRK-37/P shell by removing the visor and lens and retrofitting the HGU-55/P style visor. The HGU-55/P out-of-the-box was gray and gray leather trim and this did not deviate. Can you tell what color the shell is underneath the tape? If its white then it is a PRK-37 Shell. Check the visor and see if it is a standard visor or as I suspect, a PRU-36/P dual visor field modified for this application (didn't have the visors yet either). It could be a Protection Inc conversion but I would think it more a rigger's work and that is far and away a better find.

Unfortunately, I could not see under the white tape job. The black leather on this helmet is actually glued ontop of the white reflective tape. The glued leather is peeling in some areas, and the glue looks just like the glue the PR's used. We called that glue "elephant snot" and it is the same glue used to apply the missing Velcro square on this helmet. So, I think it is possibly a upgraded/modified helmet. Here is a picture of the leather ontop of the white tape.

post-10825-0-07488600-1441659677.jpg

Here is the peeled leather that is glued (with elephant snot) ontop of the reflective tape. I believe this is a modified/upgraded helmet. If it is a modified helmet, then that would date it to the mid 1980s??

post-10825-0-72135300-1441659929.jpg

The black leather glued over the tape is sort of a give-away. The visor is standard HGU-55/P but I think the shell is PRK-37/P and a field modified helmet. for jet helmet collectors, a true field upgraded helmet is harder to find than the HGU-33/P or HGU-55/P. It is also rare to find one where the black edge roll has been modified ala HGU-55/P. Nice helmet.

northcoastaero

The communication cable exits on the left side between the chin and nape strap screws on the HGU-55/P shell and behind the nape strap screw on the left side on the PRK-37/P shell. Does it look like there is a round hole filled in behind the nape strap screw on the left side? Could be a FSL HGU-33/P shell mod to HGU-55/P or a FSL mod HGU-55/P?

I can not find a filled in hole on the left side behind the nape strap screw. I checked inside the helmet and it looks like there was never a hole in that location.

So, with this new information, is this helmet looking more like a Flight Suits LTD modified helmet now? I will say that the white tape job on this helmet is really done well! Much better that the typical tape job done by the average squadron PR (parachute rigger). The squadron markings look like the typical PR applied markings. I wonder if this aviator had this helmet made and then he late transferred to VF-213, the squadron PRs then applied the squadron markings ( Lions and stripes)??

Chris

I can not find a filled in hole on the left side behind the nape strap screw. I checked inside the helmet and it looks like there was never a hole in that location.

So, with this new information, is this helmet looking more like a Flight Suits LTD modified helmet now? I will say that the white tape job on this helmet is really done well! Much better that the typical tape job done by the average squadron PR (parachute rigger). The squadron markings look like the typical PR applied markings. I wonder if this aviator had this helmet made and then he late transferred to VF-213, the squadron PRs then applied the squadron markings ( Lions and stripes)??

Chris

I've noticed that some PRs do seem to do a neater tape job than others from the helmets I've seen in the past.

I've noticed that some PRs do seem to do a neater tape job than others from the helmets I've seen in the past.

I certainly agree with you!! This helmet has a really flush seamed tape job, It also has what appears to be an acrylic clear coating over the white tape job. When you run your fingers across the white tape seams you can not feel any ridges at all, just smoothness. A very professional looking appearance. The squadron markings are the more typical locally applies tape jobs that I am more familiar with.

I have acquired some Velcro and I am going to re-install the missing Velcro square for the strobe lite on the top of the helmet.

Chris

Maybe it did originally come from flight suits ltd if it has a clear coat over it. Are the stripes and lion under the clear coat or over it? I had a Prk37 years ago from an A-6 squadron that had a clear coat applied over the tape design and had the Protection Inc label with crewman's name it was made for under the visor. Super find for a first helmet!

The stripes and Lion are applied over the coating. Makes me think it MIGHT be done by Flight Suits LTD ??

Tom, do you still have the A-6 helmet? Would really like to see it, I have a weakness for the A-6!

Chris

The stripes and Lion are applied over the coating. Makes me think it MIGHT be done by Flight Suits LTD ??

Tom, do you still have the A-6 helmet? Would really like to see it, I have a weakness for the A-6!

Chris

I wish I still had it and all the others I sold years ago. lately I've had the urge to get back into these helmets. It had VA-205's decal on both sides with VA-205 in script lettering on the visor and all under a clear coat. it then had a green falcon in the style of the Atlanta falcons design done in tape on the back added later.