• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 automatic

automatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,851
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

I stopped at a small market I usually pass before hitting the regular one. Usually, it is nothing but junk, but I thought "Eh, why not". Good thing I stopped, because it helped me start the day off right! Picked up these two interesting caps:

DSC02281.JPG DSC02282.JPG

I don't have much info, I'm assuming these were a vet's for parades and the like. They aren't as soiled as they seem in the pictures. Info is appreciated.

I got to the main event and started to get nervous after twenty or so minutes of searching with nothing good at all. Finally, next to a bin of matchbox cars and Lego men, there were two piles of MCCUUs, one pile desert and the other woodland. A Marine's dad was selling some of his son's old toys, and some spare cammis. I was just going to get a woodland blouse because I didn't have one yet, but when I saw they were named I decided I had to get one of each. I didn't get much info, unfortunately.

DSC02286.JPG

#2 automatic

automatic
  • Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

Next stop was a booth I usually pass. The dealer is nice, but not everything is legit and his prices are always high. I bought some patches and some aircraft recognition cards. The patches I posted are the ones I don't know. The only one I have any Idea is the circle and star, OPFOR cap badge?

DSC02278.JPG DSC02283.JPG

#3 automatic

automatic
  • Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

Next stopped at a friend's booth and went through his BDU bins. Found this, decided for the price it was worth getting. I don't know what the mod is for. Info, again, is appreciated.

DSC02284.JPG DSC02285.JPG

He also had an SFAS BDU that I passed up. I didn't know what it was till I got home and looked up the white tapes. I'm gonna call him tomorrow and see if he can put it to the side for me.

On the way home I grabbed this glass head from Pier One Imports, $20. Its real heavy, seems high quality. I recommend for sure. Here's a pic with a k pot as an example:

DSC02279.JPG

Also, got this thrown in for free from a deal last week. IDK what it is from, I just wanted it for the camo :)

DSC02290.JPG

#4 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 943
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

Next stop was a booth I usually pass. The dealer is nice, but not everything is legit and his prices are always high. I bought some patches and some aircraft recognition cards. The patches I posted are the ones I don't know. The only one I have any Idea is the circle and star, OPFOR cap badge?

attachicon.gifDSC02278.JPGattachicon.gifDSC02283.JPG

"Circle and star" is 9th Logistical Command. Approved 16 Jan 1961. Redesignated for 9th Support Command, 01 Nov 1994. It may be called the 9th Theater Support Command at present or even be inactive.

#5 McDermut99

McDermut99
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,059
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

I had a woodland BDU with the same type of velcro in the same location, although it appeared to be professionally done. I'm not exactly sure what its purpose was (training maybe?) but it's not an unusual modification. 

#6 anelles

anelles
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,134
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

I had a woodland BDU with the same type of velcro in the same location, although it appeared to be professionally done. I'm not exactly sure what its purpose was (training maybe?) but it's not an unusual modification. 

80's/early 90's USAF BDU probably, back when they would put leather nameplates on BDUs.

Attached Images

• Buzz_Carroll_(L),_ALCE,_Desert_Storm_'91.jpg

#7 ugafx4

ugafx4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157,279
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

Really neat 78th hats. They had a VERY active veterans group with yearly meetings. I bet these came from one of those meetings. I see things like painted clogs etc. From these reunions.

#8 automatic

automatic
  • Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

Thanks guys!

#9 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Love those caps!!...so that large half circle is a cap too?!.....pretty darn cool....mike

#10 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:46 PM

Nice finds.  Like everyone else, really like  the 78th Div cap.

#11 automatic

automatic
  • Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thanks again for the kind words and info everyone! I ID'd the top patch as the 19th Support command, and atb gave a great ID for the 9th Support command, but I still an ID for the shield patch. Here is a better pic:

scan0002 - Copy.jpg

so that large half circle is a cap too?!

As weird as it may seem, yeah. I didn't know what is what when I first picked it up. It is quite an odd shape for a cap, but it has a tag to cap maker, and a few of someone's hairs, so I guess it can't be much else.

#12 lamarhooten

lamarhooten
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,643
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

121st ARCOM, long gone now.

#13 automatic

automatic
  • Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Lamar, I couldn't find it anywhere!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users