509 PIB "PARACHUTE" Tab

Eric Queen

Thanks Steve for the link. This officers set it the only "matching" set that I have seen thus far.

509sycamoreparachutetab.jpg

It is also made similar to mine with the red wool backing. I guess that is the reason I got it because it was different from the other more commonly found versions (of course that can be a blessing or a curse)

DSC_1943 x.jpg

I bet you ten dollars that the Keller would sell you one of their Great books for a nominal fee.It really is a must when you are collecting Airborne Insignia.PS you started a great great Topic.Thanks Scotty

Thanks Bill. I was waiting (hoping) to actually find one in the flesh to buy (gets old buying everything on line) but I guess I will break down and order one.

Hoping this thread will continue to gain tracking and more people will share additional examples.

I guess I took a chance buying a "not often seen" variation but I just had a good feeling about it and still do. If we can document another original variation then that is a positive IMO.

In the mean time can someone please show the example Steve is referring to? Thanks

vintageproductions

Heck Eric if I knew you needed a copy there was one today at Bellflower for $40.00. I would have bought it for you.

Good heavens! The main reason I joined the forum is to learn!!! The 509th photos have been a lesson for sure! What a great experience . I hope some of these show up at ASMIC! If so... look me up as 2 tables ( no 509th for sale).

Thanks ALL!

Bob

Eric,

This is the one I was referring to, it was on an ebay auction several months ago but went for more than I was willing to pay.

post-329-0-71544100-1441035228.jpg

Thanks a lot Bob. Looks to be exactly the same tab to me. You can tell it is exactly the same size as well. Only difference I can see is the example you show has been uniform removed. Did they provide an image of the reverse? Thanks again.

I believe they did at the time but unfortunately I did not save it (sorry), I just thought it was interesting enough to save that image - good luck on your quest and someone who collects has it and may run across this thread - great patches on here as well. Here's a couple more "parachute" tabs that I know are good.

post-329-0-75455200-1441039036.jpg

No worries Bob. Thanks. Some great pieces there. Your original post makes me like my tab a whole lot more.

Eric, look on page 150 of the Keller's new book Emblems of Honor: airborne. I think I see a tab similar to yours.

Steve

Thanks again for the heads up on this. I received the book today.

IMO, based on the image and the description, there is no doubt it is the same tab. Nice to see a clear photo of it being worn.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

I went for that one because I thought it would be a closer pairing to my tab (bearing in mind that the patch that came with the tab was not with it originally).

I received it today (thanks Bill) and, to me, it is a much closer match

xx0003c509.jpg

Eric I have been married to the same great women 54 years.As I would tell you a great marriage is a real joy nice combo.Scotty