509 PIB "PARACHUTE" Tab

Eric Queen

As Bill K stated in thread #10, those two are the typical tabs that you see. I just never found one. I would want #21 for my quilt as I can only put FE patches on it.

You have a new 5th Army patch that I have never seen. Seems more like the WW1 with that silver material that you see on most WW1 3rd Army or 82nd Airborne patches. How do both of them react to black light, Eric?

I have seen this style before and I like it, I think I have a picture of one of these on my work computer - is so I'll share tomorrow

That would be great Bob. Thanks.

You have a new 5th Army patch that I have never seen. Seems more like the WW1 with that silver material that you see on most WW1 3rd Army or 82nd Airborne patches. How do both of them react to black light, Eric?

Thanks Steve for taking the time to post all of those. Some super pieces there. I have seen 2 or 3 of the 5th Army patches made with the silver tresse. The variations seem to be endless. It does not react at all to black light. I am sure the 5th Army is good but that has nothing to do with the tab of course. I certainly doubt that they have been together for 70 years.

I am sure that there are about 100 other 5th Army patches out there that I have not seen. When you have a unit as large as an Army and the fact that they fought in a bazillion locations you are going to see a great heap of variations. Which is cool and I am excited to see a new one with the WW1 style silver piping. The only reason why I asked about the black light is that in the past year I have posted photos of patches that looked period to me so I never even used a black light and then I eventually did, and stitching glowed. Glad it does not glow.

The price that the parachute tabs are bringing nowadays are staggering. I purchased #22 on the forum for $50 and sold it for $150. If it had a parachute tab it would have gone for $600. Scotty's sell for $900 b/c of who he is (expertise and guarantee). It is a simple tab to duplicate...the good thing is that most of the repros are easy to spot.

OK, so these are the fakes that I was speaking about. These are sold by NCHS and Old_club_badges on eBay.

Mine as well turn this into a good all encompasses thread on the 509th PIB parachute tab and patch!!!

post-122868-0-16256400-1440949737.jpg

Thanks Steve. I think NCHS copies (makes inexpensive collector copies of) just about every patch they can find but they are not made to fool anyone as original IMO.

What are your thoughts on this one currently on eBay? Something about it just looks off to me.

509 a.jpg