My Vietnam war era Fighting knifes

PASGT

Hello

I want to show you my Vietnam war era beauties

1. US CAMILLUS NY stamped mk2 fighting knife :love::)

2. Another beauty US CAMILLUS NY stamped mk2 fighting knife :love:

3. Pilot survival knife Camillus pommel stamped 11-1968

So here are the pics

post-105005-0-41260400-1440767359.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks for sharing these photos! Those would be the ones I saw during my time there in '68-'69. If you added in a fixed blade Gerber Mark II and a couple of folders (such as the Buck 110, a Shrade, and a Kamp King [a piece of junk, but it was sold in the military exchanges]) you'd have the vast majority of knives carried in RVN.

Thanks for sharing these photos! Those would be the ones I saw during my time there in '68-'69. If you added in a fixed blade Gerber Mark II and a couple of folders (such as the Buck 110, a Shrade, and a Kamp King [a piece of junk, but it was sold in the military exchanges]) you'd have the vast majority of knives carried in RVN.

Thank you for the comment, I am sure I will try to find these examples, to add it in my collection

Deniss

Cobra 6 Actual

Thank you for the comment, I am sure I will try to find these examples, to add it in my collection

Deniss

Deniss, on the Mark II there is some extensive online information. Since the knife had quite a long production run (1966 to 2000) and is still being manufactured on occasion as a limited run (after 2008 it became a regular run), you want to be sure you've got the correct era. Since the knives are serially numbered that's the key. Here'a a handy weblink:

http://home.comcast.net/~rfrost70/Mark2.htm

The other knives I have less knowledge of. Personally, I'd still like to get my hands on a Randall. Since they were expensive there weren't that many in RVN.

Deniss, on the Mark II there is some extensive online information. Since the knife had quite a long production run (1966 to 2000) and is still being manufactured on occasion as a limited run (after 2008 it became a regular run), you want to be sure you've got the correct era. Since the knives are serially numbered that's the key. Here'a a handy weblink:

http://home.comcast.net/~rfrost70/Mark2.htm

The other knives I have less knowledge of. Personally, I'd still like to get my hands on a Randall. Since they were expensive there weren't that many in RVN.

Wow, thank you for the link.

Nice examples of some great knives. If your looking for references on the Gerber"s heres another link to help in your homework. http://www.militarycarryknives.com/Knives.htm

Also I'm still looking for the wider example of the U.S./CAMILLUS N.Y. fighting knife that's a little over 1.25 inches. I thinks it's 1.275" but I've got to double check Frank's notes.

Nice examples of some great knives. If your looking for references on the Gerber"s heres another link to help in your homework. http://www.militarycarryknives.com/Knives.htm

Also I'm still looking for the wider example of the U.S./CAMILLUS N.Y. fighting knife that's a little over 1.25 inches. I thinks it's 1.275" but I've got to double check Frank's notes.

I THINK that the wider version of the blade (you are correct at 1.275 inch) did not come out until the markings were changed to just U.S. / CAMILLUS without the N.Y. My early (wide font) U.S./CAMILLUS measures 1.223 by my dial micrometer, while the later ones measure 1.268 or so, don't think any I have actually go all the way to the spec of 1.275.

Thanks Gary, this is why I keep having to review things. If I haven't been working with something for a little while details of one thing start to mix with other details.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thank you Tony V, and Big Bill,

I have noticed that the Vietnam era mk2's are hard to find in mint condition.

Well, I think you can expect the sheath to be somewhat dry with the metal snap having some verdigris. The blade steel on the earlier ones (c. Mid-1960's to 1979) used L6 tool steel, which wasn't as corrosion resistant as the later steels used (440A, 154CM, S30V), so blade toning, if not outright darkening, is pretty common.