please help ID 23 QM and 41st Signal Bde ?

matmil

would like to confirm this 23 QM regt ? syays 23 QM on the reverse, I have exhausted my sources for a positive ID thanks

post-3202-0-92193600-1440705633.jpg

would like to confirm this 23 QM regt ? syays 23 QM on the reverse, I have exhausted my sources for a positive ID thanks

attachicon.gifDSC08225.JPG

When you say it says 23 QM on the back, do you mean it's an engraved hallmark type affair, or it's written on a little piece of say brown tape for the id, or just written on with a marker?

rev:

Thanks, well don't know if this was a unit, could be just QM, and the 23, the price, haven't gotten any hits for a 23rd QM Regt or 23rd QM Bn, since it is a screwback means it from the 30s, so if it was Army and for a QM Regiment, it will be a tough search without a definitive catalog of QM DIs from then, you know no motto and such..

The black & gold pattern reminds me of the pattern found on the Maryland state flag, but the colors of blue, gold & black make me think air corps.

I've checked all my references with no luck so far.

I have one ID'd as the 1st Motor Repair Bn. It may also have had the designation 23rd QM. It was at Ft. Holabird, MD, hence the design from the MD flag. Before the reestablishment of a Transportation Corps in WW2, the QM Corps was responsible for motor vehicle.

• 1 month later...

The ASMIC Motto catalog lists this as: 177th Field Artillery Battalion (177th Field Artillery Regiment) On a red shield a gold bezant charged with a shell burst (red flame, white smoke)

I cannot find an image in my references to verify that identification, or any further information.

To me, that DUI looks like it might be German-made from the 1950s-60s.

A photo of the back might help narrow down who made it and when.

F rom the ASMIC charge list )which describes the symbols on a DUI)

Purdue University ROTC: On a black shield with a red border a gold griffin holding a gold lamp of knowledge.

Again, I could not find an image in my references to verify, but it sure sounds right. One note, though: A griffin has the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle IIRC. To me this looks like a stylized lion head, but the front legs are eagle's talons, so maybe I'm just not seeing it!

The ASMIC Motto catalog lists this as: 177th Field Artillery Battalion (177th Field Artillery Regiment) On a red shield a gold bezant charged with a shell burst (red flame, white smoke)

I cannot find an image in my references to verify that identification, or any further information.

To me, that DUI looks like it might be German-made from the 1950s-60s.

A photo of the back might help narrow down who made it and when.

Yep, 177th Field Artillery Battalion, Michigan National Guard, first formed in 1940 as the 1st Battalion 177th Field Artillery Regiment from other elements of the old 106th Cavalry Illinois NG, and allotted to the Michigan National Guard, redesignated the 177th FA Bn 1 March 1943 at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri (another source states 8 February 1943). Seen action in the ETO (Normandy July 1944) as a separate Corps Artillery outfit, as of December 1944 it was a III Corps Artillery unit. Post war it was allotted to the Michigan NG and was a part of the newly activated 46th Infantry Division, their DI came out in 1953, approved 3 November 1953.

• 3 weeks later...

here is another, I haven't been able to figure out, german made, thanks

Engineer related obviously, but don't know for what unit unfortunately. Maybe an old Engineer Group??

ASMIC Motto guides lists that as 58th Engineer Company.

Matmil: You might consider starting a new topic for each DUI you want help identifying. When you add too many unrelated posts to an existing posts they sometimes get lost in the shuffle.

• 7 years later...

Here is another.

Appears as a state guard crest which would include Maryland 29...Pennsylvania  28 divisions. I do not recall the other. And it may also be Artillery.

Thanks

20230725_080606.jpg

I seem to remember it being a 28th Infantry Division DUI for the Division Artillery. Artillery units from the Army National Guards of PA, MD, and VA made up the artillery of the 28th at one time.