Tribute to S/Sgt Charles W. Miller - A Jungleer

KASTAUFFER

Not long ago the daughter of S/Sgt Charles W. Miller gave me his uniform , documents and photos to preserve. In honor of his service, I have put together this tribue to him.

Chuck was from Portland Oregon and joined the Oregon National Guard in 1940 as part of the 162nd Infantry , 41st Infantry Division. War clouds were gathering and little did he know that within 2 years he would find himself in some of the ugliest fighting in the SW Pacific in places such as New Guinea and the Philippines. During WWII he earned the CIB , Good Conduct Medal , Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with 2 stars , and the American Defense Service medal + more . After WWII he joined the Portland Fire Dept and retired after 30 years of honorable service. Sadly he passed away in 1989.

S/Sgt Miller typifies those from the " Greatest Generation" . He went to war , served his country , and came home to his family. He saw a lot of combat and came home with the same medals most of his comrades did.

Here's to you Sarge

Miller1.JPG

Miller2.JPG

Miller3.JPG

Miller3a.JPG

Nice job Kurt. These are the guys that did the dirty work. While we chase around after the glamorous stuff, these are the regular Joes that got the job done.

dogfacedsoldier

Kurt,

That's a really outstanding tribute. My last acquisition was a KIA grouping from a man in the 162. He was killed in the Philippines. Some might say it's not much to say about a life, but I prefer to think it says it all. No greater love.

Jon

Thanks for the comments guys! I have forwarded this thread on to his daughter and I know she will appreciate them.

Kurt

Guest julialynn

Hi, Kurt, this is Chuck's younger daughter--my sister just forwarded me the link, and i signed up simply so i could tell you what a beautiful job you've done! It's a great and memorable tribute to my dad, and i wanted you to know how much i appreciate it. Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together and then sharing it with us.

• 4 years later...

It's been a long time...bringing this back to the top!

In a unusual twist to this story, Chucks daughter let someone borrow his wartime diary a few years back and he never returned it. Believe it or not, at the Show of Shows. 2 years ago I bought a WWII diary , and didn't realize I had bought Chuck's diary until I got home and read it! The odds of this happening are mighty slim. I let Chucks daughter know I found it and she was amazed it turned up.

Kurt

It's a small and amazing world. I had a similar experience a few years ago, when I found a few letters for sale from a Civil War soldier whom I had been researching, one of which I randomly picked off the top of a pile at a flea market and recognized the handwriting. Sometimes these things were just meant to turn up! Congrats on a great tribute.

-- Jon

Its that Karma thing, you took a family item not entirely in line with your own collecting interests and turned it into a great tribute to a hero of the greatest generation. 31/2 years overseas is a huge part of what made these guys the greatest generation. Your good deed has not only been recognized by the family, but by the good fortune to reunite the diary. Well done sir! Scott.