Which piping on hat AAF or Ordnance?

Paul70

I picked up a WW2 uniform to a member of the 1916th Ordnance Ammunition Company Aviation. Part of the 8th Air Force.

Would the collar disk and hat piping be AAF or Ordnance? His discharge says Ordnance Branch.

Thanks

I picked up a WW2 uniform to a member of the 1916th Ordnance Ammunition Company Aviation. Part of the 8th Air Force.

Would the collar disk and hat piping be AAF or Ordnance? His discharge says Ordnance Branch.

Thanks

If it says Ordnance, best bet is to go with Ordnance stuff, it's a tough one to study, so many support units were assigned to the Air Forces, some I'm sure wore at least the Air Corps collar disc, probably on an individual basis, but lots of units simply wore their branch stuff.

Thanks

Ordnance for sure if that his branch listed on the discharge.

The branch insignia worn is worn based on the MOS of the individual, not the unit. For example a mechanic will wear Ordnance, no matter if they are assigned to an Engineer or Transportation or any other unit.

Ok. Luck would have it I don't have an ordnance disk, but I did have an ordnance piped hat. Thanks

There very easy to come by Paul, these WWII Ord discs, and rather inexpensive, ask around on the forum. To Buy or Trade or just try Ebbay.