Some of my Dad's Nam bringbacks

Blu1989

Hello again everyone. Since this is my first post I thought I would share a small but special piece of my US collection that belongs to some of my dad's bringbacks from his time in Vietnam. He was stationed in Vietnam starting in December of 1966 with the 1st Marine Division, 2nd Battalion in Echo Company and he was there until January of 1968 when he was called back stateside before the Tet Offensive. He was able to bring home a lot of items from his time in Vietnam, mostly his smaller US gear including his kabar knife which is one of my most cherished possessions. However he did bring home several surrender leaflets as well as an sks rifle and this Vietcong flag he took from a dead VC soldier during one of his unit's major operations. My dad got rid of the sks about 10 years ago since it brought him some very bad memories of how he obtained it but he had kept the VC flag in his old softball bag as a good luck charm when he played softball back in the 80s and forgot about it when he put it in the attic. I also have his back pack and etool shovel that he somehow managed to smuggle home in his sea bag, which I also have here. It even had a hole in the bottom from when the barrel of the sks poked through during transit when he was coming back stateside. The surrender leaflets I keep in an album with a few pictures of his time in Vietnam that we managed to get turned into pictures (about 20 or so) but we still have two projector carousels and two whole shoeboxes filled with slides that he took and had done when he came home to go through and get preserved. I hope you guys really enjoy these items as much as I do.

post-159863-0-58512900-1440217900.jpg

post-159863-0-10406900-1440217947.jpg

post-159863-0-82830400-1440218187.jpg

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to get some more pictures up later of some of the other stuff.

Most of them are still slides but the ones that are pictures I have to go ahead and get digitized onto my computer. I do have some I'll post later tonight when I get home.

Here are two more. My dad's on the left in the one picture. I forgot to add that my dad was in the 7th Marine regiment of his Battalion.

post-159863-0-70285900-1440366992.jpg

post-159863-0-34319600-1440366999.jpg

• 1 month later...

Swmdo my dad was 18 when he first got to Vietnam and turned 19 when he was over there. I have some more photos from his time up in an older post in the ephemera section if you want to take a look at them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I have just recently began compiling all of my dad's stories into a folder so I have something to show alongside his bring backs and to help tell his story to everyone in the future.

Thanks Mark. My understanding is that these flags are kind of hard to find so it makes mine pretty rare I guess. Just the fact it was my dad's makes it very special to me and it definitely is the star of my NVA/VC captures, granted I only have it, two French berthiers, and a bayonet but I hope to find some more NVA/VC stuff in the future for my collection.