Stack of USMC generals official portrait photos

Bob Hudson

Picked up a stack of about 60 8x10 photos of Marine Corps generals from the 50's and early 60's. Each has ID info stamped on the back. The first photo is of someone who needs no introduction:

0.jpg

1.jpg

You have to hand it to BG Raymond P. Coffman for being Old Corps to the end: he made Brig. general in 1951 and retired in 1955, but look at the EGA's he wore for his official portrait:

2.jpg

A little about him from his page on the Arlington Cem. website:

"General Coffman’s Marine Corps career began in June 1922 when he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant. Following The Basic School, he joined the 1st Brigade Marines in Haiti during March 1924 and began his first tour of expeditionary service.

In March 1927 he joined the 5th Marine Regiment in Nicaragua where he later commanded the Marine Detachment at Dario.
In May 1930 he became the commander of the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Hampton, where he served two years. In July 1932 he became the supply officer of the Fleet Marine Force, and as such, participated in Caribbean maneuvers.
In September of 1935 he served aboard the USS Utah, along with the Fleet Marine Force Staff, and took part in maneuvers off the West Coast.
Coffman’s overseas tours included a stint with the 4th Marines guarding Shanghai’s international settlement during the Sino-Japanese War.
During World War II Coffman participated in the Guadalcanal-Tulagi landings, the capture and defense of Guadalcanal, the Eastern New Guinea operation and the Cape Gloucester campaign.
He earned the Legion of Merit with Combat “V” and the Letter of Commendation Ribbon for outstanding service in 1942 and 1943 as quartermaster of the 1st Marine Division in the Solomon Islands."

Here's a couple of crusty old generals.

Alfred H Noble:

"During World War I, Noble fought as commander of the 83rd Company, 6th Marine Regiment, in the Aisne-Marne Defensive, (Chateau Thierry), the Aisne-Marne Offensive (Soissons), the St. Mihiel Offensive and the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (Champagne and Argonne Forest). He was awarded the Navy Cross, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star with Oak Leaf Cluster and the Croix de Guerre with silver star and diploma. In addition he was cited twice in General Orders of the War Department and once by the Commanding General, AEF. He was also entitled to wear the French Fourragere which was awarded the 6th Marines.

Noble's Navy Cross was for gallantry in action from 6-June 8, 1918, during the battle of Belleau Wood."

In WWII he, "was twice awarded the Legion of Merit with Combat "V", in World War II.," according to wikiopedia.

6.jpg

Another Old Corps WWI Vet, Graves B. Erskine: He was CO of the 3rd Marine Div. at Iwo Jima.

3.jpg

"In January 1918, he sailed for France, and as a platoon leader in the 6th Marine Regiment, participated in the Aisne-Marne Defensive (Battle of Chateau-Thierry), where he was wounded in action; also fighting at Belleau Wood; Bouresches; and Soissons. In the St. Mihiel Offensive, he was so seriously wounded, that he was evacuated to the United States in October 1918 for hospitalization, spending a year in the hospital and undergoing nine surgeries.
For bravery in action, he was awarded the Silver Star Medal, was cited by the Commander-in-Chief, AEF, and in General Orders of the War Department, and entitled to wear the French Fourragère as a member of the 6th Marine Regiment."

Edwin A. Pollock was CO of the First Marine Division in Korea when this informal portrait was taken (circa 1952-53). Wikipedia says "Pollock was awarded the Navy Cross for heroism on Guadalcanal the night of 20–21 August 1942."

7.jpg

This guy looks like he was part bulldog. Homer L. Litzenberg served in Haiti, World War II, and the Korean War where he commanded the 7th Marines at Chosin. He also had combat commands in WWII.

The info on the back of this photo has faded a lot and is hard to read.

8.jpg

Lieutenant General Merwin H Silverthorn served with distinction in WWI and II and, as with most or all of these generals, had a very long active duty time, in his case 37 years!

9.jpg

And the last of the scans for now: a four-star Commandant: Gen. Shepherd also had one heck of a career in WWI and II as well as Korea and was the first Commandant to be part of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

10.jpg

As I said, there are 60 or more of these and I will try to scan them all, but that's a tedious process so it may take some time.

This guy looks like he was part bulldog. Homer L. Litzenberg served in Haiti, World War II, and the Korean War where he commanded the 7th Marines at Chosin. He also had combat commands in WWII.

The info on the back of this photo has fade a lot and is hard to read.

attachicon.gif8.jpg

Great photos and look forward to more. I just happened to notice that Litzenberg's PUC ribbon looks to be upside down. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was pretty busy back when these were posted; I can't believe I missed this thread!

Amazing photos, Bob. An instant collection for sure.

Fantastic portraits. I wonder how so many official portraits came to be together

Based on what I saw at the estate sale I believe they came from the files of the Camp Pendleton newspaper.